Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

USPS out to screw rod builders and shippers

Yep. I sent a rod out today $13.70. Non-standard length added $15 for $28.70. Considering I've been selling rods I can no longer use for basically recovering most of my initial investment this sure put a hurt on my shipping and I have two more going out tomorrow. We have a UPS in nearby town. Anyone know how much their cost would be for rods or other items. I also have several rod tubes and carrying cases I'm going to be selling and 10 total shipments adds $150 to my costs. Does not make me very happy either. I'm wondering if they make a special deal with places like Bass Pro or are they going to have to surcharge their rods?

Nick UPS is about the same as USPS (use to be) I use UPS half the time and USPS half the time. Well, NOW I will be using UPS all the time and USPS none of the time lol

Just to give you an example of cost. Today I shipped three rods at the Staples UPS counter. All in 2" PVC (they round up to 3" dia) one was 35" going to Co with $200 insurance and it was $17.80. Another was 32" going to NC with $150 insurance and it was $16.20, and another was Ca with $150, was 34" and it was $21.90.

Is priced very well. Really the only reason I shipped some stuff USPS before was because the Staples UPS counter sometimes takes a lot longer to get someone to wait on you is all.

23 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nick UPS is about the same as USPS (use to be) I use UPS half the time and USPS half the time. Well, NOW I will be using UPS all the time and USPS none of the time lol

Just to give you an example of cost. Today I shipped three rods at the Staples UPS counter. All in 2" PVC (they round up to 3" dia) one was 35" going to Co with $200 insurance and it was $17.80. Another was 32" going to NC with $150 insurance and it was $16.20, and another was Ca with $150, was 34" and it was $21.90.

Is priced very well. Really the only reason I shipped some stuff USPS before was because the Staples UPS counter sometimes takes a lot longer to get someone to wait on you is all.

I think UPS has free $100 insurance on all packages so you are paying for the insurance amount over that $100.

Have you ever had to file a claim?

The reason I ask us that I've never had to file an insurance claim so I wonder if you are actually spending money don't have to spend. If you keep track of the extra cost for the extra insurance, you may find out that over time it is more cost effective not to add the extra insurance.

Silver- I have never heard they do free insurance to any amount, I'll have to ask them next time I ship a rod and see. If that's true then that would be great!

I would say in the past 8-10 yrs of using UPS I have had to file a claim I "think" twice. I know I had one (3rd time) that we thought was lost but turned up a week or so late. But I think maybe twice. I've actually thought about that myself. I add $3.00'ish to each shipment for insurance, is it "really" worth it....I keep going back & forth on that.

Thought of this thread when I got a package recently, delivered by USPS. I got three arrow rests in a padded envelope...which had a tire track over it. Fortunately, the rests weren't broken or damaged. How does a piece of mail get in the floor? How come it's not noticed by a worker? Ah, meshuggah!

17 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I add $3.00'ish to each shipment for insurance, is it "really" worth it....I keep going back & forth on that.

Like all insurance you don't need it,  until you do.  Then that $3 was worth it

Suppose you figure out that by not paying insurance you "lose" some money every time a rod is damaged and you can't file a claim. I other words you "save" some money by not paying for insurance but the the loss due to damage is greater than the amount you saved by not paying for insurance.

The question then becomes what is the amount of loss that makes it worth your while to file a claim? To claim a loss you have to prove that the rod was damaged or stolen or that you otherwise suffered a loss and the amount of that loss. So you don't get paid automatically just by claiming a loss. You need to PROVE a loss which means photos and a filled out postal claim form from your customer that needs to be submitted.

So are you willing to do that for a loss of $5.00? I would not do all that paperwork for $5.00. How about $10.00? or $20.00$

The point I am making is that even if you have insurance, there is a necessary hassle to collect on that insurance as all who have ever filed an insurance claim knows. So what is your tolerance for filing paperwork for a claim vs not paying for insurance. Self insuring is even less paperwork because you don't have to fill out the USPS insurance forms when you mail? Self insuring does make some sense even if you take an occasional loss because it saves you work and time.

I have insured rods and other things before.  I can't see taking a hit on a damaged rod that cost $200 in components alone. Do I want to build another rod at the same cost? The loss isn't the $5 but the other things valued.

Well the new length regulation came into play today for me, I have a 31 inch rod tube containing a very lightweight 7 ft. 3 piece 3 weight fly rod and where shipping was to be no more than $10 to any of the lower 48 states, they now want $26. Ups was no better and FedEx was $19.  Makes selling it at a low flat fee much more difficult. This stinks and reflects the gouging I'm seeing elsewhere. 

Unfortunately it's not the shape of the container but the length and 30" or more gets more than doubled in price.

Does anyone know that if you download the shipping or mailing label from Ebay after a sale, how that cost is determined ?  Are there any breaks for going thru them ?  Just curious and oh btw, I have had to deal with an item that was damaged while in delivery and getting reimbursed was a nightmare and never did get refunded the proper amount.  UPS claimed it was "inadequate" packaging when it was the same packaging, and even beefed up a little, that the manufacturer shipped in the original container.  Their level of proof needed was beyond what could demonstrated.

I haven't shipped rods, but with packaging generally I've found that ebay's price to sellers is pretty much the same as the discounted pricing available on pirate ship.com, so if I sell on eBay I'll use their postage, but the shipping discount alone is not a reason to use eBay.

Pirateship.com is very convenient, if you are able to weigh your package at home. They'll give you options including best price at that time (ups, USPS, ground, etc), and then you just print the label and use your own packaging. Only hitch is you have to get it out on the day you date your postage.

1 hour ago, robow7 said:

Well the new length regulation came into play today for me, I have a 31 inch rod tube containing a very lightweight 7 ft. 3 piece 3 weight fly rod and where shipping was to be no more than $10 to any of the lower 48 states, they now want $26. Ups was no better and FedEx was $19.  Makes selling it at a low flat fee much more difficult. This stinks and reflects the gouging I'm seeing elsewhere. 

I'm back to shipping UPS again. Just shipped 2 rods yesterday and one today. I am not paying anywhere near that price with UPS. Did you have it packed in a tube or did you have the tube in a larger box?