Fly Tying
flymanaj

I have a question

Oh yeah back to topic-  I own 4 reels good quality fishing reels which are engineered to get wet (freshwater) without too much potential for a design failure.    Still for me there is something counter intuitive about deliberately dunking them so I just don't do it.  Accidents are another story.  If one falls out of a ring style reel seat or gets soaked by the rain or I simply stumble and fall in with my rod I rely on the engineering and don't to worry to much about it.   I finish my day and simply make sure the reel is dry before sealing them up in a their reel case because I never really know how long they may be in there.   

Salt water is another story.  I don't fish salt but I have read that just using a reel for salt, let alone submerging it, requires an immediate soaking after use with freshwater followed by a thorough cleaning and drying (or bad things WILL happen).  Being a New Englander I know what salt does to cars.  I had an SUV that the previous owner used to back his ocean going boat into the sea with.  The salt destroyed everything it touched.   

14 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Salt water is another story.  I don't fish salt but I have read that just using a reel for salt, let alone submerging it, requires an immediate soaking after use with freshwater followed by a thorough cleaning and drying (or bad things WILL happen)

That applies to any rod and reel you use in salt water.  I've done a lot of salt water fishing over the years and the only reels that were specifically designed for salt water were the Penn Internationals we used for trolling and shark fishing.   They were pretty much sealed, but the rods had roller guides and they had to be washed down and cleaned to prevent the rollers from corroding and freezing up.  The spinning reels and fly reels I used were the same ones that I used in fresh water and just washing them down prevented any corrosion.  Once in awhile I did get sand under the spool of the spinning reels or in the fly reel.  I just took them apart, cleaned the sand out, lubed them and put them back together.  The same applies to waders and wading boots.  They got a wash down, and the boots soaked in a tub full of fresh water for a day or two before I dried them.  I still think I have some beach sand in my wading boots.  Tough to get that out.

I have fished saltwater, Tampa Bay, with a Zebco 33. Took it to my parent's house, rinsed it in the bathtub (wife wasn't in it), took it apart, shook off the water and let it dry. That was about 48 years ago and still fish The Zebco reels we used.

9 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Blame NASA!

Any former Navy people care to list the Navy acronyms? As CINCPAC?

Blame NASA!

Blame NASA!

I fish exclusively in saltwater and learned my lessons the hard way.

Now, I strip the fly line off my reels at the end of every trip or set of trips, meaning when I am not expecting to fish for a few days, and wipe it down with clean water.  I also rinse the reels and rods at the same time.

Regardless of water conditions, I strip all the backing off my reels every other year and replace it with new.  The reason is sand and silt will get into your reels and line if you fish in the surf or there is particulate suspended in the water.  Eventually it will abrade the backing and you can lose not only the fish but the fly line as well. Ask me how I know...  New backing is cheap insurance every other year.  If I fished more often, like when I finally retire, I would do it every year during reel maintenance.

BTW, I have reels I have used for 3 decades that are still as good as new, minus the inevitable nicks and scratches. Tiogas, as a matter of fact, which were never high-end reels by any stretch.  Take care of your stuff or run the risk of losing it.

18 minutes ago, FliesbyNight said:

@skeet3t,   I am particularly fond of FUBAR, but I do not think that originated in the Navy.   Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is also high on my list.

It's SNAFU here at work.

Maybe it's just me, but what other people do with their gear just doesn't bother me.  It would be a lightning strike odds against me  buying a used reel from any of those people, so why should I care what they do with it.

I this is one of those "first world" issues.

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Commander in Chief Pacific.  When I was working, my customers were in WESTPAC.  BOHICA is one you don't hear to often.  

10 hours ago, FliesbyNight said:

@skeet3t,   I am particularly fond of FUBAR, but I do not think that originated in the Navy.   Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is also high on my list.

At the DoD site where I worked, all documentation was kept on a server named RTFM.  The higher ups insisted the name be changed because the acronym, when expanded, included a rude word, even though the acronym itself doesn't.