Fly Tying
flymanaj

I have a question

2 hours ago, redietz said:

The higher ups insisted the name be changed because the acronym

They were more or less forced to change this one a few years ago:   

wtf.jpg

On 3/22/2022 at 11:24 PM, Poopdeck said:

How somebody treats their gear doesn’t concern me in the slightest and It’s better than holding a fly rod in the teeth for a hero shot. I can’t be the only one that chuckles every time I see someone posing for a fish picture with the rod in teeth.

We call them corksuckers.

38 minutes ago, WJG said:

We call them corksuckers.

How else are they going to be able to hold the fish at full arms length to make it look bigger than is?

3 hours ago, niveker said:

They were more or less forced to change this one a few years ago:   

wtf.jpg

Where's the fish?

My wife will sometimes tell me I need to build a lean-to so that my boat isn't always in the rain. It's a boat, it's supposed to get wet.

My fresh water reels are always getting wet. And I often put them down in the grass for one purpose or another, never dirt or gravel. They are not made of sugar. I think that most of this talk is blown way out of proportion.

I try not to put my stuff in salt water and I try to wash them down after salt water outings, but it isn't always done for one reason or another. None of my Tibors, Abels or Sages show any deleterious effects from rather casual reel care. I bought them all used and I'm sure they are way over a decade old.

They are tools like any other tool, I don't lay awake at night worrying about any of them.

If any of them had been handed down to me by my Grandfather that would be a different story. If any of them were irreplaceable, different story.

I'm pretty sure I will die before any of them go bad on me, and at my funeral, no one will say, "He sure spent a lot of time taking good care of his reels" My reels will all look like they were used.... a bunch, and I like it that way.

23 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

My wife will sometimes tell me I need to build a lean-to so that my boat isn't always in the rain. It's a boat, it's supposed to get wet.

My fresh water reels are always getting wet. And I often put them down in the grass for one purpose or another, never dirt or gravel. They are not made of sugar. I think that most of this talk is blown way out of proportion.

I try not to put my stuff in salt water and I try to wash them down after salt water outings, but it isn't always done for one reason or another. None of my Tibors, Abels or Sages show any deleterious effects from rather casual reel care. I bought them all used and I'm sure they are way over a decade old.

They are tools like any other tool, I don't lay awake at night worrying about any of them.

If any of them had been handed down to me by my Grandfather that would be a different story. If any of them were irreplaceable, different story.

I'm pretty sure I will die before any of them go bad on me, and at my funeral, no one will say, "He sure spent a lot of time taking good care of his reels" My reels will all look like they were used.... a bunch, and I like it that way.

Well said Mark!!!!!

On 3/24/2022 at 4:39 AM, redietz said:

At the DoD site where I worked, all documentation was kept on a server named RTFM.  The higher ups insisted the name be changed because the acronym, when expanded, included a rude word, even though the acronym itself doesn't.

@redietz, so the REMF's objected to RTFM?

Most fly fishers won't ever end up in the salt - and those that do have concerns about their gear.  Here's how I maintain my gear that's in hard commercial service day after day... 

After a day in the salt or brackish waters every rod and reel gets a freshwater rinse (hose at fan setting - no hard jet of water...).  Fly gear has the line stripped off down to the backing and gets that same thorough rinsing including special attention to each guide, etc.  Once it's all rinsed off thoroughly the line is wound back on the spool wet, the drag is reduced to zero and the rig is stored upright with the reel cover up on the rod - not over the reel, until it dries... That's it folks...   Any time I'm asked about warm water, warm soapy water, etc I point out that any detergent will remove essential lubricants from your reel...  I don't like any detergents on fly line either since they might attack or degrade that plastic coating on the fly line... Modern fly backing is always synthetic (dacron - or the newer super braids...) so there's nothing to rot although mildew on your backing is very common - it only affects the appearance of your line - synthetics don't rot...  The only thing I ever do to my fly lines is use a scrubbing pad (the one that Scientific Anglers sells), when the line is wet... Once it's dry a bit of line dressing (also form SA...) thoroughly rubbed in - then carefully polished off with a dry cloth (the slightest bit of extra dressing attracts dirt and grit like a magnet...).

As for that reel, every now and then (maybe twice a year) I'll break down my fly reels and add a tiny drop of oil on the spool shaft, handle pivot, etc.  Parts that rub together might get a tiny bit of grease -no more... and they just seem to last forever... Reels with the new sealed drags get returned to the manufacturer if service is needed - but that's almost never with my Nautilus reels.  Reels with a cork drag get a bit of neat's foot oil on the drag surface and that's all... 

Hope this helps

5 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Most fly fishers won't ever end up in the salt - and those that do have concerns about their gear.  Here's how I maintain my gear that's in hard commercial service day after day... 

After a day in the salt or brackish waters every rod and reel gets a freshwater rinse (hose at fan setting - no hard jet of water...).  Fly gear has the line stripped off down to the backing and gets that same thorough rinsing including special attention to each guide, etc.  Once it's all rinsed off thoroughly the line is wound back on the spool wet, the drag is reduced to zero and the rig is stored upright with the reel cover up on the rod - not over the reel, until it dries... That's it folks...   Any time I'm asked about warm water, warm soapy water, etc I point out that any detergent will remove essential lubricants from your reel...  I don't like any detergents on fly line either since they might attack or degrade that plastic coating on the fly line... Modern fly backing is always synthetic (dacron - or the newer super braids...) so there's nothing to rot although mildew on your backing is very common - it only affects the appearance of your line - synthetics don't rot...  The only thing I ever do to my fly lines is use a scrubbing pad (the one that Scientific Anglers sells), when the line is wet... Once it's dry a bit of line dressing (also form SA...) thoroughly rubbed in - then carefully polished off with a dry cloth (the slightest bit of extra dressing attracts dirt and grit like a magnet...).

As for that reel, every now and then (maybe twice a year) I'll break down my fly reels and add a tiny drop of oil on the spool shaft, handle pivot, etc.  Parts that rub together might get a tiny bit of grease -no more... and they just seem to last forever... Reels with the new sealed drags get returned to the manufacturer if service is needed - but that's almost never with my Nautilus reels.  Reels with a cork drag get a bit of neat's foot oil on the drag surface and that's all... 

Hope this helps

It does. That's about what I do, except I don't take the line off the spool. I do sometimes put the reels in a bucket of fresh water, but spaying them with fresh water is much easier. Thanks for the comment.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:58 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Hope this helps

I think the key for anyone in the salt is being disciplined enough to do your cleaning routine after each time out.   I'm not a salt guy but once on Cape Cod I looked at some reels at a yard sale, sadly the salt water had turned the little gears and moving parts from a mechanism into something more like a lump of coral.  

To put it mildly the salt is unforgiving.  You either follow a solid maintenance routine or allow your gear to break down…

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

To put it mildly the salt is unforgiving.  You either follow a solid maintenance routine or allow your gear to break down…

Amen. Any lack of maintenance is asking for trouble. Couldn't have said it better myself. Need to get my gear together and start now that archery season is winding down. BTW, I have reels that are over 45 years old. One is 66 years old and retired to the top shelf in the cabinet in my man cave.