Fly Tying
Allan P

Anyone use Peccary?

I’ve had trouble finding it.  Where are you getting it?  Do you need to soak it in warm water like other quills?

Years ago I had about 3 or 4 collars but I made the mistake of getting rid of them when I moved. Some shops sell peccary/javelina. 
Several things to note:

the hair takes dye easily

you can split almost every hair so that each resulting piece is half as thick and makes a great thin body

hair is very tough

hair does not need to be soaked and wraps easily

Depending where on the skin you get the hair, it can be used for tailing, feelers, bodies, legs or whatever you come up with.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan P said:

Years ago I had about 3 or 4 collars but I made the mistake of getting rid of them when I moved. Some shops sell peccary/javelina. 
Several things to note:

the hair takes dye easily

you can split almost every hair so that each resulting piece is half as thick and makes a great thin body

hair is very tough

hair does not need to be soaked and wraps easily

Depending where on the skin you get the hair, it can be used for tailing, feelers, bodies, legs or whatever you come up with.

Allan

Awesome thanks Allan, yeah it looks like good stuff and Ive seen some amazing flies tied with them, like flytier posted.  They look amazing!  I always wanted to try using it, just have had trouble finding it.  All the local fly shops around me are not big on materials.  I have to order most.  The only shop that has a good selection is like 2 hours north of me, which I rarely travel to.  Otherwise im stuck with bass pro and a very small tying section in the Orvis shop here at San Antonio.  Ill have to keep my eyes pealed out for it at the online shops I shop at.  

Being in Texas though you would think I could find Javelina skins somewhere.  I might have to schedule a Javelina hunt here soon to get my own.  What part of the body does the ones that flytier used in his flies come from?  

3 hours ago, Allan P said:

Thats pretty close to a 10 on the helpful scale, for me anyways. Thanks

Here are 2 photos of dyed brown peccary. In both you can see that I used hide that had hairs with a long length of white with little barring. The bottom photo shows a piece of hide and the roughly 7-1/2” long hair. The top is a hair that I partially peeled (like peeling a banana) only halfway down its length. The result is still a tough quill that can use for whatever … For a tapered body I’ll cut the dark tip off, tie it in at the normal tie-in point and wrap forward. Prior to splitting you can carefully run a black magic marker along one edge so that the split quill has a nice segmentation. 

PS: Hope I posted these photos correctly. Never did this before. 

50C5AC1C-FF44-4783-AC71-5737C9A5876F.jpeg

21FAFD69-05E8-45AE-A8C3-36BEE4444569.jpeg

@Allan P -

thanks for that great info and the pics. 

Flytire piqued my interest in peccary a few weeks ago when he posted a series of great flies with that material. 

Have only been to one local shop so far, who didn't carry it, will try one other before grabbed some online.   

On 3/26/2022 at 2:22 PM, Allan P said:

If so, for what pattern(s)and how do you like it?

Allan p

I’ve used long dyed P. hair for almost any fly that calls for stripped hackle, peacock herl, or sometimes in place of dubbing. Red, Blue, Ginger quills, Sulphers, Coffin fly, small nymphs and even some comparaduns. I’ve used the real small hairs for tailing and the black tips of hairs for nymph legs. 
Hair is usable for lots of things. 
I’ll see if I can photo and post some flies later. 
Allan P

That piece looks like what is typically sold in shops. You might want to try picking out a hair with a split end. Grasp each end of the split between your thumb and pointer finger of each hand and peel down. Grasp one of the splits and uncurl it like ribbon. Use for a quill body. 
Also, you can do a search for ‘DST Quills’. Years ago, I and several others, posted information about peccary with some photos of flies using peccary.