Fly Tying
rougetrout

Tie your Own leaders?

How many of you out there tie your own leaders? What is your favorite recipie  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tie most of my own (and for my wife). When fishing late summer weeds, (try getting a clean float on the Bighorn in late summer) I'll buy some knotless leaders.

I follow Galloup's recommendations for some streamer leaders -- I really like the complicated 4 ft of plain old 12 pound. . .

Adams

Hello from Slovenia!

I had a lot of problems with self tied leaders - so from now on I buy only pre made no knot leaders - a classic knot with the flyline and ond the end of my leader I tie on a small ring (radius 1 milimeter) that is used for carpfishing (something for boile montage - I realy dont konw what it is actualy used for, because I'm not a carpfisher) and on that "ring comes the tippet"

If anybody uses the same tehnique - contact me on MSN adress - I have some questions about thease rings

Have a nice day!

i buy a variety of hand tied and knotless leaders. I want to learn to tie my own, i just havent had the time yet.

a few years ago i found some recipes on www.hookhack.com/handtiedleaders.html lengths 7 1/2 ft -12 ft 3 - 9 wt use them as a guide ,fudge a bit they work well for me. smile.gif

Best way to do it. Take the "listed" pattern and make it your own--thats the great thing about tying leaders you can make the lenght/wieght/stiffness that you desire.

I tie my own but will use store bought knotless as well. I have been using George Harvey's leader formula that I found in an old issue of Fly Fisherman and it fishes really well. I also just furled my first thread leader this week but haven't fished it yet.

Regards, Bob

I tie my own, mainly because I fish very small streams and most commercially produced leaders are too darned long.

Tying your own allows you to customize the leader to the situation. If, for instance, I know I'm going to be fishing Armstrong Spring Creek in Montana, I'd design a leader long enough to avoid spooking finicky spring-creek trout, but with enough backbone to punch a fly into a stiff wind.

With a loop-to-loop connection, it's easy enough to swap leaders for specific purposes.

hand tied all the way.

borger's uni leader design as a base, with a few mods for my casting and rod prefrences. i also apply ross muellers suggestion of chameleon and clear leader steps to identify which section is which when i field re-build.

if you have trouble with weeds later in thes season, i'll often soak a little flexament into the knot and the seems to smooth out the weed pick up/

I like the Unibody leader formula originally propounded by Gary Borger in Presentation and also recommended by my buddy Jeff Passante in his book on fishing the Housatonic River. This is a trout leader and is really easy to tie. I use Maxima chameleon for the three sections and add a tippet of Orvis super strong.

Here's the formula:

4 feet .020, 1 foot .013 and 4 feet .010; to this basic leader you can add a short nymph tippet or a longer dry fly tippet as the need arises.

Not too many knots to tie....

I tried a store bought leader one time and took it off my line five minutes later. I just don't like the way they lay, or the way they taper up. Tying my own I can be a lot more versatile for the conditions at hand. Just the way I was taught to fish so I have always tied them myself.

Ashby

I keep a few tapered leaders in my vest for quick emergencies, but normaly tie my own. Using Maxima for the butt and quick taper and umpqua for the tippet from 4x down.

I tie my own leaders pretty much all the time now as it does give me the versitility and the extra length of leader I need particularly when chronnie fishing with a floating fly line. I now use a 15 ft., or longer, leader all the time, even for the smallest of my dry flies. Found that the long leaders give me the results that I desire with no problems with casting or presentation.

By no means am I a 'purist' as I've been known to get lazy and cheat every so often by tying a knotless leader on to a long butt section then add on to the tippit as needed.

Ive always used knotless tapered cuz of the weed/water crud factor. I cut off about 2 ft from the tippet and add replace it with 2 ft of spool tippet (same size). When i get back to the knot, I add another pc of tippet. Fast and easy.