Fly Tying

Thanks Greg. Still collecting some tools but getting there. Just bought an impact bullet puller the other day and probably going to order a Lee 4 die 9mm set this week I found for $59. My buddy that gave me the press said he has an extra scale he'll sell me but he wants to make sure it works properly first. So just waiting to hear from him on that.

John I make all sorts of stuff with my printers. Statues for the theater room, parts for my RC trucks, shelves and mag racks for the gun room, there's all sorts of stuff that you can print these days. Kind'a mind blowing when you search all the files that are free to print stuff on places like "thingiverse".

Not yet but hope to have everything I need and be started by July. Past month has been spend getting ready for an extended fishing trip so time & money have been going towards that till I get back near the end of June.

Been meaning too get back to this, but just so much going on.

Just ordered my dies for my 9mm. Got the Lee 4pc set https://www.ebay.com/itm/194627108050?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Da552a578c47e42e7a9c8246d08d0c44c%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D363900030148%26itm%3D194627108050%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DLee+Precision&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Abf74a078-fe9b-11ec-ac82-3a3414532e14|parentrq%3Add05a1281810a44c1f206ec2fff7a7e6|iid%3A1

My buddy has a 505 scale he's gonna sell me for $30. So after that I just need to get the hand primer and then I think I will have most /all the "big" costly parts so I can get started soon.

Which I look fwd too, because I have been going to the range a lot lately and dropping prob 150-200rds per week. Kind'a costly at $18.99-$22.99 per 50/box😑

Just ordered this hand primer here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7OYUVC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was looking at a few different ones but after talking to a couple people and reading up on this one, this one seemed to be the one that has the better reviews.

Also ordered a 9mm case gauge. So should have just about all the needed tools to get started soon.

Also just ordered the manual. Went with the Lyman 51st edition hardcover for $33. May also pick up the Hornady one as well. Figure between having those two manuals and the info online then I should be good for all the specs/loads.

Really getting down to the last of the things now. Gonna go pick up some Zilla ground walnut shells this week from the pet store to use as media for cleaning/polishing the brass, then just need to get some primers & powder and can get started.

I have an old editon of the Speer reloading book that is about 40 years old. Now I look up the loads online, pick out what matches my components and write it down in a notebook.

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Also just ordered the manual. Went with the Lyman 51st edition hardcover for $33. May also pick up the Hornady one as well. Figure between having those two manuals and the info online then I should be good for all the specs/loads.

Really getting down to the last of the things now. Gonna go pick up some Zilla ground walnut shells this week from the pet store to use as media for cleaning/polishing the brass, then just need to get some primers & powder and can get started.

There is a liquid polishing compound that is good to add to the walnut shells. Check primer pockets for pieces of shell. I also got a setup that has slots in a drum. Put the empties and walnuut pieces in, turn it to separate the two.

I always cleaned my brass with the old primer still in so I wouldn’t get my sizing/de capping dies dirty. 

35 minutes ago, cencalfly said:

For separating the media from the brass I picked up  a couple wire baskets from Dollar Tree.  Just put them in a big plastic bowl and pour the whole thing in it.  Give the basket a couple tosses like a salad and it's separated. A salad spinner works too for separating the brass from the media.

That's actually what I just got back from doing. Went to the dollar store and bought a plastic bowl. I'' going to just drill some proper sized holes in the bottom of it to let the media come out but keep the brass in. I looked at the sifters reloading shops sell, no way I was gonna pay $25 for something I can make for $1 😬

37 minutes ago, cencalfly said:

Primers if you can find them are grossly over priced.  People are paying 4 or or more times what they use to cost. Especially small pistol primers.  A lot of 9mm shooters out there.  Natchez right now has CCI large pistol primers available for about $96/1000.  Which is actually a good deal in todays market.  Last ones I bought I paid $26/1000.  I also wouldn't count on them being in stock long.  There are forums last list components in stock threads. 

Yep. Been finding that out. Luckily my buddy is well stocked up so he's gonna sell me 1000 primers and 1lb of powder to get me started. I did find on one of the more popular reloading/ammo search sites where there are a number of places that do have primers for small pistol in stock, but like you said they are not cheap. Cheapest I have found is $78 for 1000, then factor in the $20 or so hazard materials fee and it'll end up $100 per 1000 😐