Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stippled Popper

I Need Identification Help Please

I won a tub of used and unused poppers and wet flies at my fly fishing clubs latest conclave. Among the wet flies were these two woven flies. I am most interested in the green and yellow one. My questions are do any of you recognize these bugs and know their names?  Thanks!

Woven01-1.png.35eeb2ed4e73f4a08ccb1db071c95f8c.png

Woven01-2.png.e4bbe347fb99984f155ab4da849a5782.png

Woven02-2.png.fcb29be34a9e9d6792f3b9174adaba14.png

Woven02-1.png.919e4fac0b8302c73254756c41bc39f5.png

nope sure don’t. Never seen them before.  I am by no way or measure an expert on fly tiers and their patterns. In fact I’m a dumb ass who spends zero time studying fly tiers, their writings, their flies or fly tying history. With that said, my guess is somebody simply sat down and just started tying stuff to a hook  to imitate a stone fly. I’m sure somebody will have a better answer than that but that’s all I got. 

the top one could be a woven caddis larva similar to this photo except with biot legs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6aO1eMWGy3X6N8QTGJ7H

or even a woven dragonfly/damselfly nymph

The bottom one looks to be a hank roberts woven nymph

post-4259-1250454378.jpg

Those are pretty elaborate woven flies.There used to be a local woman who used a crochet hook to tie some very interesting nymphs she sold to the couple local fly shops when they were still open.I never knew whether anyone fished them or collected them.There were never any available for sale as they were all spoken for.

If they were originally from Norway, I'd guess that they were the work of Torril Kolbu.  She is known for her woven patterns.

Kim

Now I know why I don't do woven flies.  Mine would look like the originals.  I wonder if the fat one is supposed to a dragonfly nymph.  If weren't for the color the second one a hellgrammite?

Where I come from in PA this was known as a Dick Wood nymph, and I remember seeing them for some 50+ years. Tied with either floss or wool.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

the top one could be a woven caddis larva similar to this photo except with biot legs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6aO1eMWGy3X6N8QTGJ7H

or even a woven dragonfly/damselfly nymph

The bottom one looks to be a hank roberts woven nymph

post-4259-1250454378.jpg

The bottom one . . . wow! thanks for the image.

Those are great looking flies, @Stippled Popper

The white and yellow one on the bottom looks like a Hexagenia limbata burrowing mayfly nymph

picture_568_large.thumb.jpg.16ac7bdeb9179932c7c3844f4f74a448.jpg

In Schweibert's Nymphs he describes a pale yellow burrowing mayfly he names the Great Pale Yellow Drake, hexagenia marlicanda, with heavy populations in southern Pennsylvania and Maryland, but I saw a reference stating that mayfly is now subsumed in the limbata species.

16496599043362763716335578069623.thumb.jpg.e35c98dda7a20e019c11818ed47aa5a9.jpg

Dron-Lee-@dron_lee-480x480.jpg

i think the top one is a dragonfly nymph similar to the one above

maybe its not finished yet

or

baileys mossback

Baileys_Mossback.JPG

lower right hand corner

180814-Dan-Bailey-flies-v2.jpg?fit=1004,

F-T is that your dragon nymph?I thought it was real.I have I nave several shells i find on shoreline weeds every year.] that look just like that.