Fly Tying
helenjmoore

Fish anywhere in the world

For me that's easy...the Grand River near Gaspe, Quebec. Of the dozen or more Atlantic Salmon rivers I've fished over the years, this one is my favorite by far!! One of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of casting a fly.

QuebecSporting2010 360 (2).jpg

QuebecSporting2010_283_(2).jpg

QuebecSporting2010_272_(2).jpg

No specific place for me, but if I could take a Summer off, I would start in west PA and follow the Appalachians south-west to the Georgia border for the natural beauty and the brookies.  

2 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Nice picture of you and the salmon 

Point of interest...that fish was hooked, landed and released on my last pass through the Grand Pool on the last day of the trip. It took a #4 Green Machine and sure ended my week of fishing on a high note. It is still a pleasure to watch the great Austin Clark demonstrate how to gently and carefully hand tail a fish.

Well, I've been going there for 30 years, so I would say Lady Evelyn Lake, in NE Ontario.  It's wilderness with the comforts of home.  I get to sleep in a bed at night, the cabin has indoor plumbing, my breakfast and dinner are in the lodge.  They pack me a lunch.  Provide a boat and gas.   All I have to do is bring my gear.  It's a mixed fishing trip.  I fly fish about 70% of the time.  There's nothing like a big smallmouth or pike on a fly rod.  The walleye not so much.

644576799_CloudsonLake.thumb.jpg.d3df2f289ac3dfa4867231312f03d014.jpg

I didn't find out till I was past the point of wanting to hike up to some of the smaller lakes around the main lake, but I could have fished for both rainbows and brookies up to 6 pounds.

On the exotic side, I think I'd like to go back to Guam.  I made several trips there for work, and brought a fly rod on a couple of them.  It was when I was learning to fish salt water and I really didn't know what I was doing.  Still I managed to catch a couple of small groupers, and harass the large needle fish that wouldn't look at my fly.  Somewhere I have a picture of me fly fishing, but I'd have to find it and scan it to post it.  It was taken with a camera that actually used film.

My first choice?  Right where I am now... the backcountry of the Everglades and Everglades National Park... Just nothing like the 'glades..  Two things you can be certain of there - the first is that no two days are ever the same and if you fished there all of your life you'd still be coming across things and situations you'd  never seen before... 

my first trip would be probably to the baja for roosterfish,    second would be lake havasu for big gills    3rd peacock bass in florida

I can fish anywhere in the world I would want to but I’m with Capt Bob with right where I’m at! Good ole SE PA!! I love everything about fishing where I have been fishing my entire life and I’ve never felt like I was missing out on something better somewhere else. Fishing has never been about the fish, the adventure or the place. It relieves me of stress and that’s why I fish. The closer to my back door the better.

I'm the same as Greg & Bob, my favorite place to fish is the Au Sable where I fish all the time. There may be more exotic locations, and better action for more or bigger fish, but since I have been fishing the Au Sable my whole life I just feel such a connection with that river every time I step into it I just would not want to be anywhere else.

With that said...if I HAD to pic a place. I certainly wouldn't mind fishing that river SalarMan posted a few replies above. That looks like a beauty of a river. SalarMan, is that the same Grand river that runs through the Elora Gourge? I have fished the Grand River there, but didn't know if that's the same Grand or a different one.

First, a little bragging.  I have fished in Hawaii, both salt and fresh water.  I have fished in enough different States to say I've experienced most of the different conditions the United States has to offer.  I have also fished in a few different Countries.  None of that travel was fishing specific.  Just work and travel with the Wife putting me in places and time on my side to allow me to do some fishing.

With that experience in my mind, I can honestly say I'll never take a "fishing trip" to anywhere in the world.  I live in Florida, and have access to salt water fishing within an hour or so.  I'll, probably, never go fish it.  For me, it's more about the fishing, than the catching.  I'm okay catching bluegill and bass, as long as I can find some quiet water to enjoy being out there.  My favorite waters, are small ponds that I can wade or boat in with little or no other people around.  I've got plenty of those within 30 minutes.

For those of you who have destination fishing trips and target species, more power to you.  For me, a nice quiet day on the water gives me more pleasure than all the trophy fish in the world.