Fly Tying
gadabout

2X short dry fly hooks ???

55 minutes ago, Sandan said:

"This is a 2X short length hook with a 3X gape"

1407864698_ScreenShot2022-04-22at9_58_41AM.png.25927ea50dd12785eac85289845700d3.png

With all due respect, this hook is a perfect example of why hook sizing gets complicated. Manufacturers INTENTIONALLY complicate hook sizing by not sticking to the standard way of sizing hooks when they use mix gape/gap size with hook shank length.

Look at the image below. No way is this a 2X short hook.

913478871_ScreenShot2022-04-22at9_55_49AM.png.c8bbaecb7c45007e4a0afb6de005b1f6.png

This is a 5X short hook.

Hooks are sized by the Gape/Gap. A "standard length" hook with a 2X short shank would be classified as a 2X short hook because the length of the hook shank would be 2 size shorter than a standard hook. Now you add the 3X wider Gape/Gap which makes the hook gape actually 5X wider OR alternatively the shank 5X shorter than the standard hook,

23 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

With all due respect, this hook is a perfect example of why hook sizing gets complicated. Manufacturers INTENTIONALLY complicate hook sizing by not sticking to the standard way of sizing hooks when they use mix gape/gap size with hook shank length.

And it's very irritating and firehole is one of the worst in this. 

I use the TMC 2488 for small dries, midges mainly, and for all my caddis patterns.  It has an extra wide gape/gap, but not near as drastic as the Fire Hole Hook.

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

"This is a 2X short length hook with a 3X gape"

1407864698_ScreenShot2022-04-22at9_58_41AM.png.25927ea50dd12785eac85289845700d3.png

Look at the image below. No way is this a 2X short hook.

913478871_ScreenShot2022-04-22at9_55_49AM.png.c8bbaecb7c45007e4a0afb6de005b1f6.png

This is a 5X short hook.

Hooks are sized by the Gape/Gap. A "standard length" hook with a 2X short shank would be classified as a 2X short hook because the length of the hook shank would be 2 size shorter than a standard hook. Now you add the 3X wider Gape/Gap which makes the hook gape actually 5X wider OR alternatively the shank 5X shorter than the standard hook,

@Silver Creek, @vicrider Was just a quick search for 2x short hooks. I know how hooks are/should be sized.  Personally I like those hooks. Firehole might/does stretch the envelope but as I said I like those hooks. I'm finding that wider gape hooks often times do a better job hooking the fish, particularly in smaller sizes. Caveat emptor as is always the case

51 minutes ago, Philly said:

I use the TMC 2488 for small dries, midges mainly, and for all my caddis patterns.  It has an extra wide gape/gap, but not near as drastic as the Fire Hole Hook.

2487s are good too.

1 hour ago, Philly said:

I think the 2488 is probably the most popular hook for the tiny dry fly patterns

317885637_ScreenShot2022-04-22at11_40_34AM.thumb.png.07456970802b41ecd54221ff9eb1fa44.png

25 minutes ago, Sandan said:

@Silver Creek, @vicrider Was just a quick search for 2x short hooks. I know how hooks are/should be sized.  Personally I like those hooks. Firehole might/does stretch the envelope but as I said I like those hooks. I'm finding that wider gape hooks often times do a better job hooking the fish, particularly in smaller sizes. Caveat emptor as is always the case

I suspected as much.

The fact that a 5X short hook showed up on search for 2X short hook, confirms the problem with the manufacturer labeling this hook a 2X short.

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

I suspected as much.

The fact that a 5X short hook showed up on search for 2X short hook, confirms the problem with the manufacturer labeling this hook a 2X short.

+1

I simply tie on a 1X and leave more room behind the eye in a pinch, that is.

Kim

How would I interpret a 3x gape/gap and 3x long hook sizing like the Firehole 860? Would that mean the hook is 3 sizes up overall from whatever it is labeled as? If not, what part of the hook isn't scaled up 3x if the shank and gape/gap are?

1 hour ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

How would I interpret a 3x gape/gap and 3x long hook sizing like the Firehole 860? Would that mean the hook is 3 sizes up overall from whatever it is labeled as? If not, what part of the hook isn't scaled up 3x if the shank and gape/gap are?

I would think you were right but I think that wire gauge would be the only thing, then they could have marked it up three sizes and added "extra fine wire"