Fly Tying
eric_sthjrsy

Where to buy quality fur

All,

I live in Alaska and have one shop in town that sells tying material. I’ve been tying off and on for a few years now, mostly streamers and eggs for trout and salmon fishing. I picked this hobby up in Germany years ago. I usually order my materials from J Stockard, but have some material left over from shops in Germany and Slovenia.  The difference between tying with those materials opposed to J Stockard materials is night and day. Specifically this year in dealing with zonker strips… the German company’s hides are straight and flat and they staple the material to a backing to ensure it stays that way, hair is thick….where as the J Stockard stuff comes in a bag that is all twisted and tougher to deal with. My question… is there a place in the US that sells materials more like what I found in Europe. I’ve looked the company up and found some stuff but figured the shipping would kill me. The company on the packaging is called Fly Scene. PIC ATTACHED.2FE88E89-B727-4316-A177-C51AFEA21B97.thumb.jpeg.e76bf84582c519289092910af5d7133c.jpeg

If there is a taxidermist near you, give them a call. Often times, they will have tanned fur for doing mounts and you may be able to buy some from them. I've gottens fur scraps that are too small for taxidermists to use, but are fine for getting natural dubbing for flies or hair for EHCs.

+1 for HideandFur.  I have been happy with the few things I've gotten from them, birds and mammals.  I buy the untanned skins, as I don't use zonker strips much.  Good prices, very clean, they even smell nice.  

I buy a lot of skins off ebay and I cut my own zonker strips.  

Bronze3 on ebay offers big patchs of hair for a decent price. 

I buy a lot of the Hareline assorted rabbit hide pieces packs and cut my zonkers from those and anything left I turn into dubbing.  

Hide and fur is good. 

Coffins creek furs but they're only showing a Face Book page now

1 hour ago, Fatman said:

Bronze3

I have bought deer and moose from him also. Good stuff.