Fly Tying

On 5/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, The Mad Duck said:

Buy cheap, replace often

Pretty much my theory, too.  I buy them expecting them to leak, so I don't spend a lot on them and I'm never disappointed.  I have a pair of Orvis and a pair of Cabela's.  The Cabela's lasted longer than the Orvis pair before leaking, but now leak more than the Orvis.  My benchmark for buying a new pair: when I'm pouring water out after taking them off.  

Thanks for that Silver, the physics completely make sense now that I think about it.  Like Byron posted above I returned my Orvis Ultra Lights (which I loved) believing they were beginning to leak because my socks were damp.  Now I'm thinking it was just wet out or even simple condensation.  Condensation must be a factor as well given that out bodies are 98 degrees give or take, trout water is cold and there is moisture in the air trapped within the waders.

Therefore a damp outer layer may not indicate a leak.

So... I've been buying waders for about 15 years from multiple location and not one of them ever bothered to explain to me to expect to damp outer layers.  In my mind I'm thinking 100% dry.  You have to wonder how many waders get returned that are actually not leaking?  

Thanks again,

Dean

15 hours ago, niveker said:

Pretty much my theory, too.  I buy them expecting them to leak, so I don't spend a lot on them and I'm never disappointed.  I have a pair of Orvis and a pair of Cabela's.  The Cabela's lasted longer than the Orvis pair before leaking, but now leak more than the Orvis.  My benchmark for buying a new pair: when I'm pouring water out after taking them off.  

I had a pair of White River and after a year they began to leak heavily at the crotch which made it look like I had a serious bladder control issue.  I think my wife had some fun that year because she always seemed call to ask me to stop for something from Walmart on my way home.  I'm probably featured in one of those "People of Walmart" emails somewhere. 😆

18 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:
17 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

"Even in good conditions, Gore-Tex doesn’t allow sweat to pass through faster than you produce it, especially when you’re exerting yourself. This is especially true for your feet, which are the second sweatiest part of your body after your armpits. And this limited breathability is completely eliminated if the surface of your boots gets saturated with water, which is inevitable in sustained wet conditions. Once this occurs, you’re essentially trapping all of your foot sweat inside your boots,"

https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/gear/why-do-gore-tex-boots-get-wet-inside/#:~:text=

Essentially this is the equivalent of "Wet Out" which is what happens when Gortex rainwear loses it Durable Water Repellent Coating

https://sectionhiker.com/why-does-rain-gear-wet-out/#:

Great information in the brief link guys - mystery solved.

https://dryftfishing.com/breathable-fishing-waders-condensation/#:~:text=Just remember%2C if the layers,Epic condensation!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Well as it goes I think it's time to replace my breathable waders once again. Over the years I have used just about every brand out there, Simms, Orvis, Dan Bailey, Bass Pro/White river, Cabelas, and seems after about 6-7 yrs they all start to get the dreaded seam leaks in the bootie feet.

With next month being my long trip North alone I'm looking to maybe get a new pair before I leave. Prices of waders these days is just absurd 😬 Looking to spend no more than $150 range. Saw the Frogtoggs "hellbender" models which look nice but that is one brand I have never owned and for some reason I am thinking I have heard some not so flattering reviews of the Frogtoggs brand...maybe I'm mistaken and it was a different brand? Can't remember for sure. Anyone own any Frogtoggs waders and have any input?

On 5/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Just got back with some new waders. Picked up some of these for $159. Actually seem pretty nice for the price, and fit me well. Long as they get me through this season and next that will be good enough

https://www.sportsmans.com/footwear-outdoor-casual-men-women-youth/mens-outdoor/waders-wading-boots/fishing-waders/lost-creek-mens-lx-fishing-waders/p/p59418

Steve the look decent from the link and they have some good reviews.  Pleas give us your review after you've been out.  

Will do. They look to be well made from what I can tell just looking them over. I like the way they fit as well. It's hard for me to find waders that fit well because I'm 6'5" 240lbs with about a 34/35" inseam, but they fit nicely with enough room to lift my legs over obstacles.

Before breathable waders were introduced, neoprene was the latest-and-greatest in wader technology. Neoprene was an improvement over the rubberized canvas that preceded it, but, as anyone who's ever worn it can attest, it did not "breathe" at all. Between sweat and condensation...well, you can imagine. John Gierach once wrote something to the effect that neoprene waders were "kind of an elaborate practical joke on fishermen, because you end up wet whether they leak or not." 

Breathable waders seem to be a slightly modified continuation of that "joke" -- they're just a whole lot more comfortable. :)

On 5/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, Bryon Anderson said:

Breathable waders seem to be a slightly modified continuation of that "joke" -- they're just a whole lot more comfortable. :)

This past weekend here in the Northeast we had our first taste of humid summer weather for the year.  After 4 hours of moving up stream I had a substantial hike back to my Jeep.  No fun at all even in breathable waders.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

This past weekend here in the Northeast we had our first taste of humid summer weather for the year.  After 4 hours of moving up stream I had a substantial hike back to my Jeep.  No fun at all even in breathable waders.

I roll the tops of my waders down to my waist to make them into wading pants. 

I use the my wading belt and shoulder straps clipped to each other to keep them in place. 

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

we had our first taste of humid summer weather

Sounds like wet wading time on the freestones

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Sounds like wet wading time on the freestones

I seriously thought about just going out in Muck boots.  But not having fished that stretch of the steam I thought that It might open up or get deep enough where I would regret not having waders.  As it turned out I didn't need waders.  For most of my small stream fishing I really like just going in the Mucks and rock hoping.  Care must be used though-  Muck Boots slip real easily on wet rocks, a staff is a must.  

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

I roll the tops of my waders down to my waist to make them into wading pants. 

I use the my wading belt and shoulder straps clipped to each other to keep them in place. 

I generally do the same but my new waders are Pros.  The heavier material doesn't want to roll down as easily as my previous pairs

43 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Muck Boots slip real easily on wet rocks, a staff is a must.  

I'm never without my wading staff on moving water nowadays.  

When wet wading I used to just throw on a pair of closed toed water sandals and quick dry hiking pants, those sandals were also very slippery.  Even with my staff in hand, I took a bad fall up in Vermont a few years ago, and in the process snapped one of my favorite rods just above the cork and sprained my thumb, which still bothers me to this day (both the thumb and the broken rod).  Lesson learned, now I wear my felt wading boots with a pair of thick socks. 

1 hour ago, niveker said:

I'm never without my wading staff on moving water nowadays.  

When wet wading I used to just throw on a pair of closed toed water sandals and quick dry hiking pants, those sandals were also very slippery.  Even with my staff in hand, I took a bad fall up in Vermont a few years ago, and in the process snapped one of my favorite rods just above the cork and sprained my thumb, which still bothers me to this day (both the thumb and the broken rod).  Lesson learned, now I wear my felt wading boots with a pair of thick socks. 

I've been toying with the idea of getting a lighter pair of Korkers sized to be worn without the neoprene specifically for wet wading.  

1 minute ago, DFoster said:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a lighter pair of Korkers sized to be worn without the neoprene specifically for wet wading.  

Just get a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Neoprene-Bootie-Gravel-Guards/dp/B005GSZMUY/ref=asc_df_B005GSZMUY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154679201&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4417952766231082306&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016829&hvtargid=pla-567930791002&th=1&psc=1

I have some that I use when wet wading in the summer. That way you can still use your existing wading boots without having to buy another smaller pair. Plus the gravel guards will keep the rocks out when wet wading.