Fly Tying
gadabout

Online orders

Has anybody experienced difficulties in getting online fly tying materials orders filled?  I made orders to two different suppliers over two weeks ago.  The order status on both of these show up as “processing”.  One of the suppliers called a couple of days after I placed the order and told me that of the six items in my order, only one of them was not on back order.  Kind of pathetic, I think.  Their website software should have told me that when I placed the order.

I would ask for a refund on the whole order. Had this happen to me before, took months to get the backordered items.

54 minutes ago, gadabout said:

Kind of pathetic, I think.  Their website software should have told me that when I placed the order.

I agree.  The only trouble I've had was with things listed as 'out of stock'.  That's bad enough, but understandable in this day.  I'd really be ticked if they told me it was out AFTER I ordered it.  

no problems here

waiting for the postman to deliver a package from jstockard that i ordered a few days ago

i also ordered from feather emporium and got my order in a week

most (but not all) online sites do state "out of stock" on their items.

call them BEFORE you order

we are living in world of not so perfect supply chain. stuff is probably still on a slow boat from china or waiting to be unloaded

Some shops don't have their websites in sync with their real time inventory. Others know exactly how many packs of Daiichi 1180 size 18 hooks they have on hand. Awhile back I placed an order with a well known shop. In a few days I received a package with two of the maybe ten items I ordered. Everything else was back ordered. There wasn't anything I needed right away and it wasn't a lot of money, so I just waited. A few weeks later I got another package, then another. I think it took a couple of months but eventually I received everything. Now I know not to order anything urgent from that shop.

Agreed.  I’ve had no trouble with JStockard, and was going to place my order with them, except that I needed a couple of items that they didn’t stock.

I've placed three orders on line so far.  All three told me what was on out of stock or on backordered.  I had the option of removing it from my order or leaving it on backorder.  I just left them on back order.  I just got one of the backorders this week.  What was interesting that one of the companies suggested I use UPS rather than USPS for shipping.  I chose UPS and got the order in three days.  I'm placing another order either tonight or tomorrow, but not fly fishing.   There have been a lot of out of stock or backordered items on the websites.  In the past I've had the two fly fishing sites call me if an item went out of stock after I placed my order.  No real complaints on the service.

I have no problems from J. Stockard, fast and efficient.

The reason for UPS via USPS is that it's cheaper on the shipper.  The order is shipped UPS to the nearest PO and then delivered by USPS...at least that's the way it was explained to me.

3 hours ago, gadabout said:

Agreed.  I’ve had no trouble with JStockard, and was going to place my order with them, except that I needed a couple of items that they didn’t stock.

then youll have to find another online retailer

there is no mother of fly shops that carry every single fly tying items

jstockard ships USPS not UPS and includes a USPS tracking number. USPS delivered my order today

the bears den fly shop in Taunton Massachusetts only charges actual USPS postal rates even though their website says $7.95

bears den even called me regarding an item that was out of stock and adjusted the amount of my order

I agree jstockard is a great fly shop, great selection of materials, unfortunately i stopped ordering from them in regards of their shipping cost to Canada. I could not justify paying 45$ for shipping when im ordering 50$ worth of materials, too bad, they do have some great sales every month. I ordered from many different shops and no complaints except for 1.

Supply right now is a problem for certain items, took me a while just to find a golden pheasant skin, it was the ugliest skin i ever seen, i almost sent it back. Had a order of GP's to fill then i tossed it out, it worked out in the end i guess.

I just placed an order for 9 items, I think, and all 9 were shipped the next day. The web store is Whitetail Fly Tieing. (That is the correct spelling for the name of the business.) These are really super people to work with. It was originally owned by Chris Helms. Now it’s own by the Richardson’s. 

BB

I'm glad I don't need anything and I have a good stock of things.  I don't let UPS get away with delivering to the USPS, I tell them I paid for UPS you can deliver it not the Postal people!!  If a box doesn't fit in my mailbox they stick a tag in there saying the box wouldn't fit and I have to go to the PO and pick it up!  

mail-box.jpg

i live in a mobile home park and we have mailboxes similar to these

if the package is too big to fit in my assigned slot, the USPS driver delivers it to my front door

UPS and FEDEX do the same thing, deliver to my front door

i personally dont care who delivers my package as long as i get it

if UPS hands it off to USPS, whats the big deal? USPS isnt charging extra for delivery