Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bonsai garden 2022

BcgGBdd.jpg

Well the weather here in Michigan is FINALLY turning nice. Hitting mid 70's to mid 80's this week. Still early in the year so there's still lots of growing and blooming to do till it all fills in, but spent about 10 hrs the past 2 days getting the backyard into shape for the summer. Will post some updats later on once everything starts blooming and growing more.

I bought this Azalea and planted in my garden 3 years ago after Tracy passed. This year it has the most blooms it has every had on it. Almost fully open now.

nxu92zB.jpg

OReBgCW.jpg

Spent the morning working on this English Yew bonsai. I have been working on this one for about the past 5 years, its really starting to get a good look to it this year.

Nice backyard, Steve.  Has that English cottage garden feel to it.  

3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

English Yew bonsai.

I've always been fascinated by that bonsai thing, pretty cool.   

Spent the afternoon working on another of my bonsai tress. This one is my Juniper. Little before & after pic. It started out as a nursery stock hedge juniper about 6 years ago when I bought it and have been training it since then. I pruned, wired, and re potted it today and really love the direction this one is going. The one pic is to show how you get them in a shallow bonsai pot. You can see how flat it is out of the pot. To get that you repot it when you get it on top of a flat brick after you start root pruning it. Each year you take it out, prune the roots, and replant it on the brick so the roots grow sideways rather than down. Just got it into a proper bonsai pot now today.

I also built a gate for the entrance of the bonsai garden. Now I don't have to see anyone, truly a happy place for an introvert like myself. DO have to get one more board for the far right side though.

hTEQf4k.jpg

Before

c6bY3eD.jpg

After

YWjj6R2.jpg

nhKbRQi.jpg

😁

Few random pics from the garden. Lots of blooming flowers and hosta are all getting pretty huge now.

GoSOWg3.jpg

5EDdMYE.jpg

HFwge5d.jpg

7Rj9UEj.jpg

HsBjtFG.jpg

Mws9ei1.jpg

NCVRMmd.jpg

Eet9nQD.jpg

This one is my biggest Hosta, it doesn't look like it from the pic angle, but it is easily 6ft to 7ft in diameter. Crazy how big it has got over the years. About 10 yrs ago when I bought it from a local shop I brought it home in a little quart pot it was so small at the time.

eYUcfFR.jpg

And one of my favorite flowers when they bloom. Somewhat of an old fashion flower, a Peony.

WVsU7Ht.jpg

I, ABSOLUTELY, do not envy your Winters.  But I DO envy your yard.  AND your Bonsai.  

Beautiful.  Growing up in Indiana, we had a row of Peonies, at least 20 "bushes".  When they bloomed, those big flowers were gorgeous ... just like that one.

Oh, and Wife is looking at your pictures and flipping you the bird.  She VERY MUCH misses her flowers.