Fly Tying
flytire

Rainbow Trout?

I contacted the TWRA about this fish. It is an albino trout. Such fish are stocked in few numbers.

Golden trout and palomino trout are the same fish, different names from different states. It is definitely a golden or palomino trout. In Pa they are called palomino trout and are somewhat common in every stocked trout stream in Pa. They are easy to see and they are all very large. Pa stocks a handful in most stocked streams because they are popular among new/power bait anglers but not so popular with experienced anglers. They help sell fishing licenses and trout stamps, or so they think. They are totally hated and despised by the trout only anti stocking crowd. I personally could care less about them. They are common enough to where if I caught one I would not care any more or less about it than any other fish I caught. I definitely would not take a picture of it and I would not act or believe I caught a trophy or something special. 

image.thumb.png.96e36be5d83e0f953c0057e3881afeac.png California Golden

image.png.16dfe2a84fd4c75e09f14450cd656a45.png

Stocked West Virginia "Golden Rainbow"

It's a hybrid they created by accident when a wild golden snuck its way into a batch of rainbows gifted to WV for breeding. They thought the wild golden was some kind of runt, and it ended up getting mixed in genetically with the rainbows.

Edit: hadn't seen the prior posts about the PA golden. Looks like a cross between a golden and a rainbow, anyway. 

image.png

I have seen, these in Utah as well.  Easy to spot for predators.

I've seen one only once while wading but I couldn't get it to take, eventually I spooked it.  Considering our rapidly growing Bald Eagle populations here in Mass I agree with Utyer. I don't think they last very long once stocked.  Mass also stocks a limited amount of tiger trout.  For a lot of anglers stocked Goldens or Tigers are a trophy.   Some of the non stocked wild trout steams I prefer have both Brookies and Browns but catching a wild tiger has eluded me to this point.  Maybe this year?

5 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Isn't that the same thing they stock in Pa called a palmino trout? Looks pretty much the same from the pics of the ones in Pa I have seen.

Yep.  It's also called a golden trout, but it's not the same as true golden trout (O. mykiss aguabonita, the state fish of California.)  It's a hatchery creation, stocked in great numbers in many states along with more conventionally colored rainbows, to let the public know that a stream has been stocked.  Nothing rare about them at all.

The pellet pig shown has obviously spent it's life in a hatchery millrace. Not sure why it made the news.

Will get the skinny from a fisheries biologist and get back with you. I'll be seeing him next week.  I can even get photos of what they have at the hatchery.

I have zero doubt what it is. Like redietz stated, they are a well known common sight in PA. They are also known to be very difficult to catch. Reason being everybody can see them so they are getting bombarded with bait, worms, flies, spinners, jigs, trout magnets and everything else  on the trout fishing market.  

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

They are also known to be very difficult to catch. 

Allegedly, at any rate. I think most of their reputation for being hard to catch is that you can easily see that your efforts are failing.  You miss the fact that there may be a dozen other, less easily visible, trout in close proximity that you're also failing to catch.  But you know you're not catching the highly visible one.