Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Wax

I use wax a lot of the time, with gel spun thread it seems to go better.   The only thing uncomfortable about it is having to use two hands.  Overton's Wonder Wax has a large container with a screw on cap, which I guess most waxes have.  To reduce the number of hands it takes to uncork it. I applied a patch of Velcro to my bench and likewise to the cap of the Overton's.  It works fine, and you can unscrew and screw it up with ease. And if you move your work station, you can do so easily instead of nailing the cap to your  bench.

3 hours ago, flytire said:

i have no problems unscrewing the cap on my overtons wax container

Yes, but it takes two hands, unless you're using something to hold the cap while you unscrew the container.

Nice vid . Thanks. I’d advise caution when going through your wife’s purse. You never know

what you’ll turn. Up.😳

If you're gonna use wax, why not keep the tube open while you're tying? 

My old wonder wax cap was always hard to unscrew and at one time is was so so stuck that I resorted to hot air. This may be an old tip that's common knowledge but I read it somewhere: Clean the threads the best that you can then smear some Vaseline on just the threads. I did this just once, probably like 5 years ago - and it's just now starting to get some wax buildup but the cap is still pretty easy to remove.

5 hours ago, flytire said:

@Gene L is very cryptic about why he uses the method he is describing but it may be because of his hand problem he wrote about here

Lock down - The Lodge - Fly Tying (flytyingforum.com)

i can now see how that would be a good idea if someone has a difficulty removing the cap

If I leave the top off, it collects stuff you don't want to collect.  I don't have a problem removing the cap, but it takes two hands.  Previously, I had some other brand of wax, and I nailed the cap upside down to the bench. One hand operation.  But my OTHER desk doesn't allow nailing anything down.  Which is why I use Velcro.  I thought about using a rare earth magnet , which would probably do great, but the magnetic field attracts hooks.