Fly Tying
Michael B

HMH TRU vise

I have this this vise about 9 months and really like it except the finish on the jaws. They seem to get scuffed up where the hook is secured. I would like to have then professional re-finished. Any suggestions. I sent them to HMH recently and they said they repaired the tips of the jaw but it still seems like they are just not good. Thanks

Welcome to the site Mike, it would be helpful if you would post a photo of the issue.  Are saying the gun bluing is wearing off or do you mean the jaws have actual dings or dents and are in need of machining of some sort?  I own a TRV and have not had an issue after 4 years and hundreds and hundreds of flies.  As you can see from the photo below the gun bluing does start to thin from your fingers but that is normal.  Any gunsmith can re-blue the jaws.  If the jaws are actually dinged or damaged I'd be interested in how it happened?   One of our members tested the hardness (around 61 Rockwell) and said that a file wouldn't touch them so normal hook holding should never be able to damage them.  See his post below-

IMG_3002.thumb.JPG.d2bfda1e900c43bfa3fbcd50c90c6a1a.JPG

I also have a HMH TRV and there have been zero issues such as you describe. One question however...What is the vintage of your vise? I understand the VERY EARLY vises had jaw issues which HMH  quickly rectified. The originals had powder coated jaws while the later (current) models have blued jaws. If it is just the finish that is a problem, buy some gun blue touchup such as Birchwood Casey. Just follow the instructions...the stuff works great. The jaws should only need this on rare occasions.

Good luck!!

George