Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Collins Hackle

From Charlies website

For 42 years I've been raising hackle chickens, and enjoying every minute of it.  Then, on April 23, 2022 my life changed.  Medical issues arose in my family that would require my full attention.  No longer would I be able to spend 3-5 hours a day in a chicken barn & still deal with the issues at hand.

What I thought would be one of the hardest decisions I'd ever make became one of the easiest.  On April 24, 2022 I walked downstairs, unplugged the incubators, put roughly 2,300 eggs in buckets, and dumped them in the back field.  And, just like that, I was done raising hackle chickens--amazingly, without a single regret.

No, I am not out of business yet.  I have a huge inventory of capes to sell that should last at least 3-5 years.  But, when those are gone, that's it!

I sincerely want to thank each and every one of you that patronized my business.  From the tyer who purchased just one cape to those who purchased hundreds over the years, THANK YOU!!!

I hope you will continue doing business with me until my supply is gone.

I've had a good run.  Beginning the day I picked up my first birds from Doc Fried in 1979 to the day I unplugged the incubators, I've been totally fascinated by it all.  The friends I've made along the way have made the whole journey even more special.  So, again, thank you and may God bless you all.

Charlie Collins

Thanks for the update. He impressed me when he was a guest speaker at my fly tying club and I have admired him along with his work ethic/dedication for many years.

He will be missed!!

It' a shame he dumped the eggs and didn't sell them to another breeder.  But, everyone has their reasons.

Mike 

He sold a lot them to Sidling hackle.  So the strain  will continue.

Charlie has always been a straight shooter it was sad to see him leave the shows and now leave the business. I wish him well with his family issues. 

I’ve been doing the same thing for 35 years and have enjoyed mostly all of it.  I can tell you without a doubt that I will not be doing it for 42 years. I wish him well. 

I'm thinking about placing an order as he sells off his stock. What specific colors have you found to be unique to Collins Hackle? I'm thinking maybe the barred duns? 

Thanks! 

From experience...his barred duns are GREAT as well as the light ginger and barred cream. All of his stuff is of superb quality, these are just colors I use most often. Don't hesitate to order any color you need...and you probably want to do so SOON!!!

I've been trying to get on his homepage for a few days without success.  Has anyone else been on the page lately?

Swamp