What brand:
Rod length:
The weight of the fly rod:
Action:
Is it a Fly Rod Combo?
What do you fish with it?
What did it cost you?

Mine is a rod I made from mudhole.com
8.5" 3wt, Action: Mod-Fast $130.00 and reel is a free hand me down from Orvis.
and I fish small panfish, Bluegill or Pumpkinseed.
I haven't had luck with bass or trout.
I have a lot of luck finding them and putting them on the hook and with the weight of that rod.

Here is a web link I found on that:

Fly Rods : A Buyers Guide - What Kind of Fly Rod to Get

A comprehensive Buyers Guide to Fly Rods. We'll cover what to get, what not to get, and where to get it. Detailed information about fly rod action, the best fly rod for beginner anglers, fly rod length and much more.
www.bigskyfishing.com
bluegill.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
Stu

1 hour ago, Stuart Fluke said:

I would like to hear.
What is your favorite fly fishing pole?

What brand:
Rod length:
Action:
Is it a Fly Rod Combo?
What did it cost you?

What brand:  I built it 15 or so years ago.  I think on a Lamiglass blank.  Might be a Loomis
Rod length:  9'
The weight of the fly rod:  6 weight
Action:  slow to moderate
Is it a Fly Rod Combo?  If you mean can I use it as a spinning rod, yes.  I build my fly rods with single foot running guides(spinning).  If I plug in a a 4 or 6 inch fighting butt, I have a passable spinning rod for emergency use.
What do you fish with it?  Usually a WFF line, but I also have an intermediate and a sinking line for my reel which is an Orvis Battenkill IV
What did it cost you?  At the time $125

I use it for just about everything.  I've used it for trout.  I use it for panfish(Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Redbreast, Green Sunfish)Rock Bass, Crappie, Smallmouth and Largemouth, Chain Pickerel, Pike  and light saltwater fly fishing.

Over the past 60+ years, I have had dozens of fly rods.  I started with a fifties era clunky glass rod.  Then I cobbled together bamboo rods from pieces found in the garage.   My first "good" rod was a Fenwick fiberglass, 9' #5 that my brother left in the Parking lot after a Green River float.  Through the years I have had rods from many big names, including Orvis, Sage, Loomis Echo, and Winston.  Most of these I bought at shop discount prices, or built from blanks.  

All this time, I was able to cast any of these rods a similar distance and catch plenty of fish with them all. A learned that the rod itself didn't effect my casting distance, much at all, and these expensive rods were really not worth it.  

During the last 30 years, I have sold off almost all my so-called high end rods.  I still have my Sage 9' #8 RPL which I built from a blank in 1991 the day before a trip to Mexico.  Since I had no time for to cure the wraps I used 5 minute epoxy.  That finish slowly yellowed and broke down.  Three years ago, I had to re-finish the rod with the same Herters Rainbow thread.  Its as good as new now, but only my second favorite rod.

I currently fish with 2 rods which are my favorites.  They are 9' rods one# 6 and one #8 Double XX s from Maxxon Outfitters.  I learned the hard way that fishing from a kayak was a hazard to any rod, so cheaper was much better to loose.   These rods are well under $300 and do everything I need them to do from Bass to Saltwater Surf fishing, I get the performance I expect, and still get plenty of fish.  No need to spend big money on rods as far as I am concerned.

I fish the 6 weight all over, I use it for trout, Shad, and inshore fishing for Sea Trout, and Juvenile Tarpon.  The 8 weight is used for Surf Fishing for Snook, Lady Fish, and whatever I find.   

What brand: Alan Kube custom bamboo quad
Rod length: 8'3"
The weight of the fly rod: few ounces for a 5 wt.
Action: Med fast
Is it a Fly Rod Combo? No
What do you fish with it? Trout

What brand: Glenn Bracket Mantra bamboo penta
Rod length: 8'
The weight of the fly rod: few ounces 4/5 wt.
Action: Fast w/ the 4, med fast with the 5
Is it a Fly Rod Combo? No
What do you fish with it? Trout

Hard to say. I still have my first fly rod, a South Bend fiberglass from about 1958. It's a D wight, equal to about a 7 wt. today.

To start...a fly fishing "pole" is someone from Poland who fly fishes - HA 😂HA😂 HA😂 HA😂

A favorite from 59 years of fly fishing is hard to say...expect that it would be bamboo for sure.

Starting with:
7'0" Garrison Model 201 - 4 weight
7'6" Carmichael Model 206E - 5 weight
6'3" Paul Young Midge - 4 weight
7'5" Bob Summers Perfectionist - 4 weight
7'4" Weiler Garrison repro 204E - 4 weight
7'9" Weiler Garrison repro 209E - 5 weight
7'6" Weiler Payne repro 101 - 5 weight
8'0" Nevros Model 212E - 6 weight
8'0" Jim Beasley - 4/5 weight

Prices when I BOUGHT THEM vary from $475.00 to $1000.00. Today's value for several are considerably more than that.

There are others, but enough is enough.

I like and use graphite as well, but for pure pleasure and inner satisfaction I have always reveled in using good cane rods!!!

Cheers,
George 

i had a 7wt ll bean streamlight,broke a few years ago.  i did get a 9wt from steve and a 3wt  10ft euro nymph . that 3wt is my favorite. being 10ft i am able to cast flies that are made  for 6-7 wt   that 3wt is my fav.

8 hours ago, Stuart Fluke said:
I would like to hear.

What brand:
Rod length:
Action:
Is it a Fly Rod Combo?
What did it cost you?

Mine is a rod I made from mudhole.com
8.5" 3wt, Action: Mod-Fast $130.00 and reel is a free hand me down from Orvis.
and I fish small panfish, Bluegill or Pumpkinseed.
I haven't had luck with bass or trout.
I have a lot of luck finding them and putting them on the hook and with the weight of that rod.

Here is a web link I found on that:

Fly Rods : A Buyers Guide - What Kind of Fly Rod to Get

A comprehensive Buyers Guide to Fly Rods. We'll cover what to get, what not to get, and where to get it. Detailed information about fly rod action, the best fly rod for beginner anglers, fly rod length and much more.
www.bigskyfishing.com
bluegill.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
Stu

8 hours ago, Stuart Fluke said:
I would like to hear.

FYI: A fishing pole costs less than about $50 currently and comes with the reel.  A fishing rod is a higher quality. Just a bit of info.

In no particular order:

What brand:
#1: Diamondback
#2 Orvis Encounter
#3 Orvis Streamline

Rod length:
#1 9'
#2 10'
#3 15'

# 1 10wt
#2 7wt
#3 10wt

Action:
#1 Med Fast
#2 Med Fast
#3 Medium

Is it a Fly Rod Combo?
No

#1 WF Intermediate sink mostly, but I use a shooting head system so it varies with the conditions
#2 WF Intermediate sink mostly, but I use a shooting head system so it varies with the conditions
#3 WF Intermediate sink mostly, but I use a shooting head system so it varies with the conditions

What did it cost you?
#1 ~$120 a few decades ago
#2 ~$180 on clearance
#3 ~$180 on clearance

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

To start...a fly fishing "pole" is someone from Poland who fly fishes - HA 😂HA😂 HA😂 HA😂

A favorite from 59 years of fly fishing is hard to say...expect that it would be bamboo for sure.

Starting with:
7'0" Garrison Model 201 - 4 weight
7'6" Carmichael Model 206E - 5 weight
6'3" Paul Young Midge - 4 weight
7'5" Bob Summers Perfectionist - 4 weight
7'4" Weiler Garrison repro 204E - 4 weight
7'9" Weiler Garrison repro 209E - 5 weight
7'6" Weiler Payne repro 101 - 5 weight
8'0" Nevros Model 212E - 6 weight
8'0" Jim Beasley - 4/5 weight

Prices when I BOUGHT THEM vary from $475.00 to $1000.00. Today's value for several are considerably more than that.

There are others, but enough is enough.

I like and use graphite as well, but for pure pleasure and inner satisfaction I have always reveled in using good cane rods!!!

Cheers,
George 

I paid $10 for my bamboo rod in 1966. Refurbished it several years ago and still use it occasionally.

I agree with @utyer, though I have more than need 

My favorite is the one I'm waving back and forth at the moment. 

14 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I paid $10 for my bamboo rod in 1966. Refurbished it several years ago and still use it occasionally.

In 1966 I graduated high school and was fishing with a cheap glass rod and a Pflueger Progress reel. The combo got the job done, but before too too I discovered the pleasures of fine  tackle and never looked back, and with no regrets.

What brand: sage method
Rod length: 9.6ft
The weight of the fly rod: 8 weight
Action: ultra fast
Is it a Fly Rod Combo? no
What do you fish with it? salmon mostly but pike and rainbows occasionally
What did it cost you? too much

paired with a guideline quadra 79hd titanium reel, cost; too much

my favorite stretch for kings

IM001185.thumb.JPG.b61266854bd3a7691d2a3d7c5f484d82.JPG

unfortunately it has been shut down the past 4 years for low numbers. Heard the run should be descent this year, maybe the river will be open for kings this year, fingers crossed

I don’t spend enough to have a favorite, I have zero brand loyalties and I’ve never bought a rod I didn’t like. All a byproduct of not reading “best of” and rod shootout articles. Being simple minded and easily satisfied also helps.