Fly Tying

I think the body and tail are made of pheasant tail fibers. I am not sure what the greenish and feathery material is at the thorax of the fly.

The fly is a variation of a pheasant tail frenchie.

Your overthinking the entire very simplistic process of tying a fly. not your fault though since the fly fishermen of old liked to make everyone believe what they did was difficult and took an educated man. YouTube has taken all the mystery out of fly fishing and fly tying. Yes that head cement (fly tiers code for glue) will work as will any other glue out there. A lot of people don’t use glue at all. Some use a product used to protect finger nails called sally hansons hard as nails (SHHAN) for glue. some use a fancy resin cured with a colored light.  Its all glue and it all works and at the same time is not needed most of the time. It’s your choice. Most flies I don’t put a drop of glue on. That’s just me, others may like glue. yes that dubbing will work for any application requiring dubbing. Dubbing is just fuzz twisted on a thread and wrapped around a hook shank. Nothing technical about it. 

plenty of videos out there showing how easy a Frenchie can be tied and the minimal materials needed. Jump in with both feet, start tying and don’t get mired in the mud of fly tying. It’s a rather simple process to tie flies to catch fish.

9 hours ago, Secretly Beloved said:

Hey guys, is this the wrong head cement? What is the difference? 

ABD2074E-0B16-4FCE-B7E2-1F3D87A4C561.jpeg

That is NOT head cement. It is the carrier that evaporates from the head cement solution. The unused head cement then thickens over time. The thinner is used to replace the carrier so the head cement gets back to normal thickness.

Acetone or toluene can be used as a thinner.

6 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Your overthinking the entire very simplistic process of tying a fly. not your fault though since the fly fishermen of old liked to make everyone believe what they did was difficult and took an educated man. YouTube has taken all the mystery out of fly fishing and fly tying. Yes that head cement (fly tiers code for glue) will work as will any other glue out there. A lot of people don’t use glue at all. Some use a product used to protect finger nails called sally hansons hard as nails (SHHAN) for glue. some use a fancy resin cured with a colored light.  Its all glue and it all works and at the same time is not needed most of the time. It’s your choice. Most flies I don’t put a drop of glue on. That’s just me, others may like glue. yes that dubbing will work for any application requiring dubbing. Dubbing is just fuzz twisted on a thread and wrapped around a hook shank. Nothing technical about it. 

plenty of videos out there showing how easy a Frenchie can be tied and the minimal materials needed. Jump in with both feet, start tying and don’t get mired in the mud of fly tying. It’s a rather simple process to tie flies to catch fish.

Oh I see thanks for the info, I just jumped into it and the process so far has been going good. Thanks again explains the process very well.

5 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

That is NOT head cement. It is the carrier that evaporates from the head cement solution. The unused head cement then thickens over time. The thinner is used to replace the carrier so the head cement gets back to normal thickness.

Acetone or toluene can be used as a thinner.

So could this be used to glue? Or could I use super glue? 

Oh dang, I didn’t even read the label. Nice pick up Silver, it’s glue thinner. No, its used to thin glue when glue gets thick since a jar of head cement will last years at your tying bench. Sorry about the confusion. 

Okay guys I just got done making some here is how it came out. The bottom black and pink was my very first fly. The middle and top are my second and third flies. Thanks for all the info guys!

DE491CFF-2F80-4E4F-845E-7CDBABED886D.jpeg

Now I'm glad that my first ties were lost to history!  Nice ties.

Kim