Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable 2022 trip daily updates

Nothing big this morning like last night, but a really enjoyable morning on the river. Saw the coolest thing I think I have seen on the river in 50 yrs. A huge river otter. He was out in front of the dam feeding on crawdads. I sat and watched him for probably half an hour. He would dive down and grab some crawdads and then come up to the surface and crunch them.

9.jpg

8.jpg

He's just doing what he otter.🤪 The wife and I were camping at the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains NP and watched a female and pups in their den across the river. They had a den in a rock shelf. Didn't get photos and regret it.

I've always said the Au Sable is heaven on earth, and so far this trip is proving me right. Soon as it started getting dark this evening a light hatch of brown drakes started coming off. Just enough to get a few real nice trout rising. From 9:15 to 10pm I landed multiple 20" browns on the dry fly. If I died tonight I would die a happy man.

UWdWWPK.jpg

cUb8KX8.jpg

abd6pdP.jpg

5F59z1G.jpg

Counting the big brown from last night that's four browns from 20"-23" I've got in the past 24hrs. I couldn't ask for more

😎

Another lousy day in paradise 😁 Water temp has the fish active even middle of the day. Fished from noon till just after 3 and had some good fish rising. Got two nice browns in the mid teen size range, lost a couple others that size, and got a couple 10-12" chunky bows. Back at the motel to eat and then head back to the river in a couple hours for the evening rise to fish with a friend.

htNzQpJ.jpg

q1EkgSJ.jpg

Mk8UKg4.jpg

8YqQ1Qw.jpg

I'm jealous and living vicariously. Have fun for all of us that can't be there

Fished with my friend Brett this evening. It started out really well with a drake hatch with about an hour of good fishing. I got a real nice heavy brown and chunky rainbow, and Brett lost a real nice fish then landed a couple nice chunky bows. Cold & rain kind'a put a damper on the risers so headed back a bit early. Past few days have been just wonderful, been putting some really nice browns in the net this trip.

guQe8IA.jpg
jgzYWev.jpg

Awesome Steve, wish I was able to be up there unfortunately I have a date Friday with a surgeon. I’m going to be hanging around home for at least a month. Keep the great reports and pics coming.

Mike.

Very nice trip so far. Who ever said there were no fish in the Au Sable? Where'd you get those nice rods, the are purdy. Nice May fly too.

Been real busy, so I'm just getting in here.  

Wow!  Steve, you're proving the adage, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work."  Lousy days in paradise, must be tough ... but at least it's not work.

Those are beautiful fish.  So glad to hear you're having a good time.

Sometimes you just get everything timed just right and have a trip of a lifetime. I think I finally managed to have that happen for me on this trip. The Au Sable usually doesn't give up this many big browns on a daily bases. Some rivers do, especially when they are stocked with trout at large sizes, but with the Au Sable some of the fish are wild, and some are stocked but they are stocked at 5"-6" range so the big fish are have basically been in the river their whole lives. So to get what is happening on this trip this year is just kind'a crazy. Not that I'm complaining lol. I think with the rains bringing the water level up, and the night temps of 40's keeping the water temp at 61f it is just that I managed to have everything all come together just perfectly for this trip.

Got another absolute beauty of a brown tonight. Not much action during the day/evening, but fished till a bit after dark and had a sparse iso hatch come off. Tied on a parachute iso dry and got this beauty. Thought it was a small one at first with the little dimple of a rise, but soon as I set the hook it started head thrashing and throwing water all over the place. Quick pic and released him back into the cool waters of the Au Sable to go about his business.

dRwAtOb.jpg

BokdzCR.jpg