Fly Tying
SalarMan

Computer Security

Ha...I'm no know-it-all but it did bother me too so I did some checking into what "Not Secure" means to me. As far as computer safety, with people out there able to hack into almost any system man builds and firewalls are defeated the only way to be completely secure is to burn your computer and go back the old ways, and even then mail can be intercepted and stolen. I do not blame you for a good degree of caution but this site is one I take my chances with, as are a couple of others I haunt regularly.

Your cyber friend, Nick

a site like amazon is "Secure" by the indication of a lock and by "https" in the address bar

secure.jpg

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (https) is a combination of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) with the Secure Socket Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol. TLS is an authentication and security protocol widely implemented in browsers and Web servers.

The reason you are seeing the “Not Secure” warning is because the web page or website you are visiting is not providing an encrypted connection. When your Chrome browser connects to a website it can either use the HTTP (insecure) or HTTPS (secure)

sites like this one is "not secure" and does not have "https" in the address bar. it does not mean it contains viruses or malicious software

not secure.jpg

Why A Website Says Not Secure? How To Fix Website Security Issues (nbmsllc.com)

My address for this site starts with an “https.” So it’s a PC problem and not a site problem? I think?

I've learned lots from this discussion. Thanks guys.......

30 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I've learned lots from this discussion. Thanks guys.......

George It's never a bad thing to proceed with caution when it comes to computers.  For most of us, including me, how these things do what they do is black magic.  I can use one but I am no techie.  Both my iPhone and laptop are the property of my employer and as it states in my employee handbook "may be monitored", the handbook doesn’t say by monitored by whom. Therefore, I never use either for banking, purchases or anything personal besides briefly storing a few photos which are off loaded to a remote hard drive.  My wife handles all the scary stuff on her personal laptop and that allows helps me sleep well at night.

I am planning on buying my own PC just as soon as I receive my 5 million dollar check from the Nigerian prince. 🤣

Fyi, just yesterday I had to re-enter my password here after logging out by accident, and my info did get hacked. (Someone tried to use the password I entered at Best Buy.) I've got an unsecure connection here (http).

I am in the process of settling a credit card fraud issue. How did it happen? Who knows how someone got into that MC account.
All I know is there are creeps out there waiting to take advantage of any opportunity.

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Fyi, just yesterday I had to re-enter my password here after logging out by accident, and my info did get hacked. (Someone tried to use the password I entered at Best Buy.) I've got an unsecure connection here (http).

somebody hacked your computer to get your best buy password through this forum because this fly-tying forum is not secure?

58 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I am in the process of settling a credit card fraud issue. How did it happen? Who knows how someone got into that MC account.
All I know is there are creeps out there waiting to take advantage of any opportunity.

i too have had somebody use my credit card number to buy items at a kohls department store in Michigan (I live in Connecticut and have never been to Michigan).

i reported it to my credit card company and they resolved to problem without incident. they suspended the old card and issued a new card and all was good

9 minutes ago, flytire said:

i too have had somebody use my credit card number to buy items at a kohls department store in Michigan (I live in Connecticut and have never been to Michigan).

i reported it to my credit card company and they resolved to problem without incident. they suspended the old card and issued a new card and all was good

That sounds like my problem. Someone changed the address on my card, then used my card MC number in Pittsburgh. I live just outside Philadelphia and haven't been near Pittsburgh in at least 5 years. I use Identity Guard to monitor my credit, ID, etc. and they were the people who contacted me with an alert on day one of this fiasco.

Some fun eh. 

Seriously guys, I think some people don't truly understand what the whole "secure / not secure" definition of websites are. If you are on a public website then most likely it is not "secure" by some definitions of the meaning. That in no way means your personal info is at any risk. No ones CC info nor personal info has been compromised by this website.

There is no more risk with this website as there is with ANY other public website online these days. Insinuating that there is, is simply not true and is simply making some people needlessly worry about something that they should not worry about.

1 minute ago, Steeldrifter said:

Seriously guys, I think some people don't truly understand what the whole "secure / not secure" definition of websites are. If you are on a public website then most likely it is not "secure" by some definitions of the meaning. That in no way means your personal info is at any risk. No ones CC info nor personal info has been compromised by this website.

There is no more risk with this website as there is with ANY other public website online these days. Insinuating that there is, is simply not true and is simply making some people needlessly worry about something that they should not worry about.

I fully understand what you are saying...and in no way wish to infer that my CC fraud issue was a result of anything on this site. I know just being on the internet opens anyone to potential criminal activity.

50 minutes ago, flytire said:

somebody hacked your computer to get your best buy password through this forum because this fly-tying forum is not secure?

Not quite. Hacked this site when I entered my password here, while unsecured (http), and then used the chugbug email I use on my account here to try their luck on Best Buy. I entered my password here yesterday and got the notice from Best Buy overnight. I assume they went to Best Buy with it because they can easily sell anything they might get away with buying there.