Fly Tying
SalarMan

Computer Security

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Hacked this site when I entered my password here, while unsecured (http), and then used the chugbug email I use on my account here to try their luck on Best Buy.

That is not "hacked this site". Again guys that is not how it works. An instance like that is something that most likely is on your computer and there is no telling how or where it could have been picked up, but this site is not "hacked".

It is a real disservice for people to keep insinuating that this site is dangerous or that they have got something from this site because this site does have security measures in place which do prevent things such as that.

24 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

That is not "hacked this site". Again guys that is not how it works. An instance like that is something that most likely is on your computer and there is no telling how or where it could have been picked up, but this site is not "hacked".

It is a real disservice for people to keep insinuating that this site is dangerous or that they have got something from this site because this site does have security measures in place which do prevent things such as that.

Based on what I've learned through this discussion and what you've said before...well let's just if I was concerned I wouldn't be sitting here typing this now. This site is obviously quite safe and a  great place to share fly fishing and fly tying info.

You will have to put up with my smiling face in the foreseeable future...guaranteed!!😁😁😁

Look, when I visit the site on Google Chrome from my standard issue Android phone (Motorola on Verizon Wireless), there is a triangle with an exclamation point in the URL address line. (It does the same when I visit the site on my Dell computer, Windows 11 operating system.) When I click on that triangle, it says,

"Connection is not secure. You should not enter any sensitive information on this site (for example, passwords or credit cards), because it could be stolen by attackers."

Google adds detail about what that means when you click a "Details" hyperlink. According to Google, not according to me:

"Dangerous Not secure . . .

"We suggest you don't enter any private or personal information on this page. If possible, don't use the site.

"Not secure: Proceed with caution. Something is severely wrong with the privacy of this site’s connection. Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site. . . ."

Here's a screenshot from my phone showing the triangle in the URL address line

Screenshot_20220610-164110-426.thumb.png.fee043262a008af59fd770c45adbf571.png

It is going to say that about any public site that is not encrypted with an up to date certificate. That does not mean it is actually dangerous. This site is not a bank or paypal or commerce website where it is encrypted to protect sensitive info.

This site is as secure as any public site online, plain & simple. Unless you are entering sensitive info such as your banking or CC info, or dumb enough to use the exact same password for every thing you do online, then you have nothing to worry about. Anyone that has an issue and wants to believe its somehow not safe, then simply don't use it.

I'm on a trip and internet is spotty at best at the motel so I am done trying to explain it anymore. This topic has run its course and I won't have it keep going making people believe FTF is somehow dangerous to use. That's simply not true.

Closed.