Fly Tying
flytire

My refrigerator.....

3 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Look about 4-5 posts up

Thanks for that. Our Samsung has been trouble free...so far. Should it get bad I would replace it in a heartbeat!!

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

My last purchase is a single door fridge with the freezer on the bottom.

When mine goes that is what I want to replace it with. Being 6'5" the one thing I always hated is my fridge having the freezer on top. To see anything that is on lower or middle shelf of the fridge I have to been way over just to find something.

Could always go 'old school cool', no moving parts to wear out:

57e58f8a89c43bc60560d631e9d41eee.jpg

Or if space is at a premium, get a combo unit:  

image.jpg

House-wives were so stylish in the 50's - LOL.  

On 6/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, Steeldrifter said:

When mine goes that is what I want to replace it with. Being 6'5" the one thing I always hated is my fridge having the freezer on top. To see anything that is on lower or middle shelf of the fridge I have to been way over just to find something.

with you being 6' 5" wouldnt you want the freezer on top rather than bending over to retreive items from the bottom freezer?

5 minutes ago, flytire said:

with you being 6' 5" wouldnt you want the freezer on top rather than bending over to retreive items from the bottom freezer?

I'm probably in the fridge part 15 times for every 1 time I'm in the freezer part, so I'd rather have the fridge up top where I don't have to bend down all the time.

Steve0, put the refer on a riser like they have for washers and dryers. BTW, if you are in the refrigerator 15 times a day, then how did you lose all that weight?😉

Our fridge is over 10 years old and still works fine but makes a lot of weird noises, clunks and wheezes. I'm thinking of having a repairman come on and go through it but I've had bad luck with these guys on other stuff before and was thinking  just wait it out and look at new ones. Ours has to fit in a fairly small space and like Steve has Fridge on top and Freezer on bottom. Wife does all the stuff in freezer cause she can still sit on floor and get back up. I have not priced a new fridge and reading the above posts I'm now scared to find out. I was thinking a couple hundred bucks would cover it but now find I need to at least triple that guess. Scary and I'm sure prices thanks to day to day inflation are not going to come down soon.

6 hours ago, vicrider said:

makes a lot of weird noises, clunks and wheezes

Time to keep an eye out for sales.  

Look at the local appliance stores and big box stores for returns, scratch& dent, etc. I worked in appliances at Lowe's. A friend got a deal in a ref that had been dropped during delivery. Corner frame was bent but he fixed it.  

14 hours ago, vicrider said:

makes a lot of weird noises, clunks and wheezes

hell i do that just sitting on the couch!

Only one complaint I have with what we purchased.  Wife wanted a larger fridge with French doors and an ice maker.  I love the French doors and the ice maker, BUT the larger capacity is and enormous waste of food and money.  Some food goes to waste before we can get to it.  That really doesn't settle well with me.  Next one will be much smaller!!!

Michael

6 hours ago, essequamvideri said:

Only one complaint I have with what we purchased.  Wife wanted a larger fridge with French doors and an ice maker.  I love the French doors and the ice maker, BUT the larger capacity is and enormous waste of food and money.  Some food goes to waste before we can get to it.  That really doesn't settle well with me.  Next one will be much smaller!!!

That’s what we did, went with a smaller fridge which is barren most of the time. Nowadays with grown kids out of the house for years now we simply prefer to store our food at the acme and pick up what we need when we need it. We store very little that requires refrigeration. The Acme is right outside our neighborhood and is a tad shy of 1 mile from my front door. Most times we walk there and grab whatever we need for the meal we are about to prepare. Some days we walk out there two times. 

Well, I just joined the new fridge crowd. Right now we picked up a small apartment fridge to hold us and using kids freezer. I saw something someone posted about 7-800 and thought, well I can handle that. Wife went to big city with kid and truck and came back empty. Nothing she wanted and half the things she'd take were on back order. Also white is not a big color in appliances anymore. Stainless or black. So wife went on net and found just the one she wanted. Bottom freezer, 22.4 cu ft as our is now, and ice maker, defrost and those other good things with vents and special areas. $2000 and black. Well, a black fridge just won't look right with our white stove and white microwave over the stov so...new black stove, new black microwave, and over $3K even with the bulk discounts and mail in discounts. Me, I'd have hauled the old fridge into town and had it repaired. Most times it's compressor, freon leaks or circuit board and it sure would be a lot cheaper and they'd all still be white.

Sometimes my wife forgets we're on Social Security and inflation is eating up a big piece of that.