Fly Tying
Squeezy

Hello from Michigan

Hello All,

Just joined the forum to aid in my adventure of taking fly fishing up again.  Name is Blaine and like the title states, I reside in S.E. Michigan.  Grew up on a smaller (600+ acre) lake in central Illinois and fishing was a constant.  In fact, my late grandfather bought me my first fishing rod the day I was born.  Grew up fishing creeks and farm ponds for panfish, catfish, and turtles.  As I grew in age, largemouth became the target species.  Got into bait casting at an early age and getting that "wall hanger" of a Largemouth was the goal.  With luck on my Dad's side, he got his 7 lber mounted and I then said I'm not getting one done until it's bigger than that - heck of a benchmark!  Needless to say, I do not have a mounted Largemouth... yet.

On with it... Dad and Mom took us at least once a year down to Missouri to a little gem named Montauk State Park.  That is where I cut my teeth on trout.  Starting with spinning gear, we would watch my Dad and his fly rod with dreams of doing the same.  I recall one summer day he tied on one of Grandpa's old nymphs for some bluegill in the back yard - so it began.  He gave my brother and I the "not now..... now" casting class and soon I was on my way.

Dropped fly fishing in college and focused on school (catfishing with a case of PBR).  After graduating (SIUC- Aviation Technologies) my now wife and I moved to West Yellowstone, MT.  Left the baitcasters and stink bait in IL and dusted off the fly rod I learned on as a kid.  Regret not taking full advantage of the fishing out there, but other hobbies took the front while we lived there.

Fast forward, I have dusted off the fly rod and purchased a fly tying kit (i know i know... buy once cry once for the good stuff).  Getting my feet wet with that and focusing on panfish with the end goal being tying my own flies and getting after some small mouth in my local waters (Lake St. Clair/ St. Clair River).

Looking forward to learning more about fly fishing and reading/sharing stories along the way.  

Nice to (virtually) meet everyone,

Blaine

Welcome to the group.  When I lived in PA, we would drive up to Baldwin, and fish the salmon runs in October.  

Welcome to the site! I'm a born and bred central NYer and have been tying for over 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 11 years. You'll find that this site is loaded with many fine and knowledgeable fishers, tyers, rod builders and just overall good folk. My current swap theme is the BS Swap (BS as in Before Synthetics - I didn't want to give you the impression that there are any BSers on this site! ). I gotta finish my current swap before that one goes on the books. It'll be the 2525 Swap - if you've got grey hair you'll know what I'm talking about, if not go to YouTube and type 2525 - Zager and Evans and you'll get a hint.  I look forward to your additions to this fine site and hope that we cross paths down the road.

Kim

BTW, since you are from Michigan you might like the flies I've been posting for the past few weeks (and the next couple months) to honor the work done by the late Michigan fly historian, Tom Deschaine on Michigan dry patterns. You can see my interpretations OR, if you want to see how the ties are SUPPOSED to be done  , check out his site - Fly Patterns (michigandryflies.net). Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome squeezy. Your in luck because the tools in your kit are just fine. The tasks they perform are so minor and so little is asked of them that they all work just the same regardless of cost. Lucky again in that tying flies to catch fish is as easy as tying your shoe. Jump in and start tying without fear of expense or difficulty. 

Welcome,

tying and fly fishing for panfish is the best way to get into, or back into, the sport.  IMO.  

You're gonna have fun.  

Blaine,

Don't know of many 600 acre lakes in central Illinois other than Lake Bloomington.

Welcome to the site. Warm water fly fishing is my thing as well since I am hours from any trout.

Love catching big Bluegill best of all. Hit me up for panfish fly ideas or if you are ever back this way to visit.

Tight lines,

Gillage

On 6/24/2022 at 1:32 PM, gillage said:

Hello Gillage,

Grew up on Sunset Lake (173acre) in Girard, IL.  Worked/Fished quite a bit down at Otter Lake (765acre) as well.  I'll for sure shoot you a message when I'm back in the state.