Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Carry on Fly Tying Kit:

I am going to Utah in 10 Days to teach some fly tying.  I am also supplying a young new tier with materials and tools.  I have a very expensive  Dyna-King vise to give this new comer to tying.  I will also be traveling with my portable Nor-vise vise.  I want to ask any members who have carried a good vise in carry on if they had any problems.  I know enough to pack scissors, and other sharp tools in checked baggage.  But I don't want to trust the airline with about a thousand dollars in these vises.  Any comments would be appreciated before July 4th.  

cleandesk.jpg

DKSide.jpg

while i went to visit my mom in fla  i sent overnight postal service a vise and tools , carried materials in my carry on        had peace of mind and it was insured

I would call the TSA and ask before you show up at the airport with that vise in a carry on. Most TSA employees will have NO CLUE what your vise is and it might be viewed as a blunt force trauma type weapon.

TSA confiscated the knitting needles of an elderly woman. Guess she looked like a criminal or terrorist. There is no consistency in the TSA as "standards" vary from place to place.

I've always put my vise and materials in my baggage.  With 20+ years of dozen(s) of flights a year, I've never had my baggage messed with.  I've had it inspected a couple of times, but always with a note in the bag and nothing missing.  I've never had $1000.00 worth of tying vises, but I have checked a couple thousand dollars worth of test equipment before.  I never tried to take the tying gear as carry on, as my regular carry on was a computer bag with two computers, etc.