Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

BMP take two

Bottom Mounted Parachute

up-DSC_2382_Female-pmd.jpg                                                         
up-PMD-paragon.jpg

This one is tied on a #18 Daiici 1120.  I often tie them on the same hook at size #20

So the overall fly size is more like 16 or 18.  A size 14 or 16 Daiichi hook would make a good green drake pattern.

Darell asked "Is that a more realistic profile?"  Obviously yes, I think.  Perhaps the real question would be "Does that make any difference?"

Maybe some difference but not much.  On places like the Paradise Valley (Montana) spring creeks or Silver Creek in Idaho where there are a lot of both rising fish and fishermen the fish do get hard to catch.  If any given riser refuses your favorite fly more that twice, some guides (me) will tell you to switch flies. Switch profiles. Go from a Sparkle Dun to a spent wing or an emerger.   Or to a fly like mine. Show them something different.  More different is more powerful that a little different.

That's what they taught me when I first started guiding on the creeks.