Fly Tying
DFoster

So there I was, minding my own business...

Glad everyone is on the mend including myself.Mark,just saw your post in the Lodge.I had a stroke on Good Friday of all days,blocked artery on left side of neck..Had surgery and am getting a little better each day also but mine was a walk in the park compared to yours.DFoster and SD,i had the same symptoms 5 years ago but mine came and went but got worse each time.Gallbladder was removed and hernia fixed which added 8 weeks to recover .Dont know what i am going to do ,was able to pull half my pension early .Can get early SS next April.Too messed up to work in my trade but not messed up enough for disability.I did catch 9 bass on the 4th shore fishing a pond next to the BBQ i was at .Lifted my spirits.I am ok just walking a little funny and balance is a bit off,have come a long way in a couple months.

9 hours ago, jcozzz said:

Glad everyone is on the mend including myself.Mark,just saw your post in the Lodge.I had a stroke on Good Friday of all days,blocked artery on left side of neck..Had surgery and am getting a little better each day also but mine was a walk in the park compared to yours.DFoster and SD,i had the same symptoms 5 years ago but mine came and went but got worse each time.Gallbladder was removed and hernia fixed which added 8 weeks to recover .Dont know what i am going to do ,was able to pull half my pension early .Can get early SS next April.Too messed up to work in my trade but not messed up enough for disability.I did catch 9 bass on the 4th shore fishing a pond next to the BBQ i was at .Lifted my spirits.I am ok just walking a little funny and balance is a bit off,have come a long way in a couple months.

I'm happy to hear your recovering, it sounds like it's been a tough stretch.  A few Bass would certainly lift my spirits but I'm at least a week away from attempting to wade.  Comfortable fishing weather in New England is limited and I hate wasting it for any reason. 

I can't believe that recovering from a stroke doesn't qualify for you for disability?  Don't take no for an answer- spend some time on line and reach out to a few law offices that specialize in this area and find out if your rejection was actually legal.  You might be surprised.  They will most likely review your situation for free.  In my experience insurers always make it as painful as possible before they pay anything.   I'm fortunate that my employer offers both short an long term disability and still I fully expect a fight if I ever need to use it.

Good luck-

On 7/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, Poopdeck said:

Get well soon, both of you 

Ditto

Just catching up on some of these things. Good that they were able to diagnose and remove before rupture which makes a real mess. For the rest of you out there, get better and back to enjoying life again. Time seems to start speeding up as we get closer to the endgame and we need to do all we can to make the ride last and be fun on the way.

I was able to fish on Friday after work and Saturday morning.  I felt pretty good while I was out there although I definitely was a little more tired than usual when I got home.  I got a decent Rainbow for my efforts.  All in all it looks like I should be 100% by next weekend.  Thanks again for all the well wishes and to those of you still in a fight I wish you the best!

IMG_E4127.thumb.JPG.c4000d298e02b9846e2bbbed71c05514.JPG

On 7/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, niveker said:

Good to hear, DF, nice trout, pretty rod.  

Thanks- the rod is an LL Bean Pocket water 7' 3" 3 weight.  They did a pretty good job of making it look like bamboo,  It's been my main trout rod for years.  I still use it often even though I have the bamboo rod I built last year.  

On 7/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Nothing more healing than some time on the water 😎

Yes sir-  for people with a passion for fishing time on the water will cure most anything!

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

LL Bean Pocket water 7' 3" 3 weight.

Sounds perfect for those small steams.  

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

They did a pretty good job of making it look like bamboo

How do you mean?  Did they paint lines on the blanks, like the old Action rods?

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Sounds perfect for those small steams.  

How do you mean?  Did they paint lines on the blanks, like the old Action rods?

For me It's been a great small stream rod.  It fits my casting style and I'm pretty accurate with it out to about 25' which is generally all I need.  I believe it's fiberglass but I'm not certain.  I've been using it less this year because I have my 7' 6" bamboo 3 weight.  When I do take it out it feels instantly familiar, like a well worn pair of jeans.

Bean just used paint that makes it look like it's spar varnished bamboo and  brown for the thread wraps.  From a distance it looks like the real thing.  Last year I had a local bamboo rod maker pull over as I was packing up to ask who made my rod.