Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Stereotypes

Wow.  This thread is a little self-righteous and probably hypocritical.

if I choose to have a beer or three, as long as I am not breaking the law, it is not your concern. if I am breaking the law, it's still none of your business until it affects you directly.

Yes, I know some people can't handle it or don't know when to stop. That's some, not all. You're convicting people before they commit a crime.

if you don't want to have a beer while you're fishing then don't.  If you don't want to fish with me if I crack a cold one, then don't.  We'll probably both be better off.

There would be a whole lot less fuss and bother in this world if people just minded their own damn business.

And for the record, no story worth telling ever started with milk.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

You lose water by dehydration. Hard to sweat and not lose the electrolytes. Have taken salt tablets working in an un-A/C factory.

You are not understanding what I am saying. 

The definition of "dehydration" does not need to include the loss of electrolytes.

It is the loss of water, for example, by vomiting. It can be by sweating but there are other causes the do not include the loss of electrolytes.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dehydration/symptoms-causes/syc-20354086

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

It is the loss of water, for example, by vomiting. It can be by sweating but there are other causes the do not include the loss of electrolytes.

Yep, this is why Dysentery has killed whole armies.  You literally cannot ingest fluid fast enough to make up for what is leaving via both ends.  Intravenous treatments are still relatively new that was not an option until recently.  This is also why docs are so insistent you call immediately about diarrhea when you are on certain drugs that can have that side effect. As an example lots of cancer drugs can cause "explosive diarrhea", as if having cancer and getting chemo aren't bad enough.

3 hours ago, FliesbyNight said:

Wow.  This thread is a little self-righteous and probably hypocritical.

if I choose to have a beer or three, as long as I am not breaking the law, it is not your concern. if I am breaking the law, it's still none of your business until it affects you directly.

Yes, I know some people can't handle it or don't know when to stop. That's some, not all. You're convicting people before they commit a crime.

if you don't want to have a beer while you're fishing then don't.  If you don't want to fish with me if I crack a cold one, then don't.  We'll probably both be better off.

There would be a whole lot less fuss and bother in this world if people just minded their own damn business.

And for the record, no story worth telling ever started with milk.

Nobody said you couldn’t. Just as you choose to drink when fishing I choose not to be around drinking when I’m fishing. No need for you to get your back up because I voiced an opinion obviously very different from yours. 

Self righteous? hypocritical? Do you know something I don’t know? Perhaps my opinions are formed by losing a good friend to alcoholism. Perhaps I watched a good friend lose his wife, his kids and ultimately his life as I sat back and did nothing. He also enjoyed a beer while watching the sunset among many other reasons to have a good drink. Perhaps everybody around him heard over and over and over how he wasn’t bothering anybody, how it was legal, and how everybody should mind their own damn business. Yep, We all just sat back and did nothing. Although the similarities in what you say are striking, I’m very happy that you don’t have a problem. Some do though and I will no longer enable them in any way shape or forum  so hate me if you must but my opinions have nothing to do with self righteousness or hypocrisy. 

One does not know they are an alcoholic until they take the first drink. Then...it's too late. I have dealt with or know of others who have dealt with alcoholics. It's a sad situation.

This is a rather interesting conversation.  If we keep it civil, we can keep it going.  If people take offense then the thread will be closed or even deleted.

13 hours ago, mikechell said:

This is a rather interesting conversation.  If we keep it civil, we can keep it going.  If people take offense then the thread will be closed or even deleted.

Hmmm. Anyone follow Jeff Foxworthy's redneck jokes? People talk about ethnic jokes. Many of the comedians we have seen were Jewish and got their start in the resorts in the Catskills. They told Jewish jokes! The audience rolled with laughter. Public TV had a documentary about Jewish humor, centering around those resorts. I recall seeing a sign in one of the towns that advertised a kosher Chinese restaurant. Remember Dirty Dancing?

The best thing is to laugh at ourselves.

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

The best thing is to laugh at ourselves.

People need to learn to mind their own frigging business about things that dont concern them. Thats the problem these days. People trying to dictate how others live when they should just mind their own business