Fly Tying
Patriot

Rio Grande Brown

My cousin and I were fishing the Rio just below Creede, CO and I was lucky enough to catch this beautiful brown.  I seldom catch brown's, so this was a real treat for me.

The shot was taken underwater with my new GoPro.  To be clear, I had NO IDEA what I was doing, so luck played a huge part in getting this video shot.

rio-grande-brown-trout.jpg.2524170491436d1af958563668615210.jpg

Caught it on a Copper John, of all things.

Thanks.

@SilverCreek

Thank you for the kind words.

That shot was possible only by the genius of the GoPro engineer's, not me.  I simply whispered a Hail Mary, stuck the camera into cold water and hoped for a miracle.

I hope to do the same when I get back on the San Juan river in Northern New Mexico in a few weeks. (If I can find a place to stay ... )

Thanks again.

That is a great shot! I’ll take dumb luck all day long for shots like that. Copper johns are in my top 5 so I’m not surprised by that. 

@Poopdeck

Thank you, sir, for the kind words.

Yep, the Copper John is indeed a good nymph.  If my memory serves me correctly, this one had a brass bead making it sink quickly.  That, I believe, is one of the main reasons that I hooked this beauty because it went down quickly and deep.

A mayfly hatch was progressing at that time and they refused everything I tied to my tippet that I thought was a good match for the hatch.  Frustrated, I tied on the HJ and on the second cast I connected.  

This is what that stretch of stream looked like.  Drool away.  Ha!

579377371_rio-grande-near-creede-cocopy.png.88527f999df07956b4d4db5efa0593ad.png

Thanks!

@Steeldrifter

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, that was a beautiful stretch of the Rio Grande to cast flies over.  Wish it was in my backyard.