Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Pistol caliber carbine?

Anyone here shoot a PCC? I'm picking up a stripped lower tomorrow for my next build at my FFL. Was planning on doing a 300blkout with it, its another AR lower. But have been reading and watching vids the past few days on PCC's and really thinking maybe doing a 9mm 16" ar rifle out of it. Anyo0ne here have one, know much about them? Seems there are a few com that make the mag adapters. Thinking if I do this, and my venture into reloading, since I have the 9mm dies, may be a good idea for the next build for an ar since I could hare ammo as well as Glock mags between the two.

I'd suggest that you buy a lower designed specifically for PCC.  The conversions/adapters can cause issues (failures) plus the better lowers will be able to lock your bolt back when the mag is empty, last time I checked the adapters don't.  I'd also recommend building a PCC in the same caliber of your primary pistol and just as importantly make sure the lower design uses the same magazines as your pistol.  If you shoot Glock or one of the clones build your PCC around that magazine system regardless of the capacity you want.  Tune your PCC to use exactly the same ammo you will be using in your pistol so any loaded magazine you pick up will run in both guns.  PCC technology is pretty mature at this point so do some research for proven mfgs and you should be good to go.  Gas systems on on PCC can take some tuning to get them right.   If you plan on suppressing the PCC that adds even more to the equation.  This may be one of the times that you want to look into getting a complete firearm but rolling your own certainly can be done.  If you know someone who is competent with PCC building I'd suggest you talk to them.  Ask if there are any PCC completions (or competitors) within driving distance, those guys have to have reliability and know what works.

And the next rabbit hole has been spotted... enjoy the ride.

Swamp

Thanks good info. I have read a lot about the not locking back thing. Seems none conversion mags do. Who makes a 9mm lower? I can't say I have seen one yet myself. As in a pure ar style lower.

Guess if I'll just have to use this new lower as a 300blk/9.5" pistol...and grab a dedicated 9mm lower then. Gotta buy a new one eh ;) Always find a reason to buy a new gun right :)