Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

3 d printing

if a person made a plastic 3 d printed bullet sinker,   would it float or sink?   i have a few basswood bulletsi drilled a hole thru it and use a large fly behind it to easily pull over weed for bass. just dont know if the plastic would float or be heavier than the wood version.  any ideas

5 hours ago, richmce said:

if a person made a plastic 3 d printed bullet sinker,   would it float or sink?   i have a few basswood bulletsi drilled a hole thru it and use a large fly behind it to easily pull over weed for bass. just dont know if the plastic would float or be heavier than the wood version.  any ideas

Depends on the specific gravity of the plastic. It could float or sink very slowly.

https://www.ji-horng.com/show/plastic-material-density-specific-gravity.htm

Print it thin walled and hollow. Should float like the proverbial cork.  As to if the basswood version is lighter, I'm not sure.  It would be a function of what the filament type and printer nozzle will allow.  I've considered getting the 3d printer up and running again just to play with poppers, not much of a difference from that to what you are thinking.  If you play with it, I'd be interested in what you learn.

Swamp