Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mnesbit

Griffin Montana Pro

Hello,

I’m getting back into fly tying. Thinking of going simple this time with my vise. Has anyone used the Griffin Montana Pro?

Sure haven’t but I have a griffin superior. Griffin makes a fine vise and I’m sure you will be happy with any vise produced by griffin. 

I use a lot of their bobbins - and have been very pleased with them in hard commercial service over the years.... they've held up well - and I'm tying much bigger flies than any freshwater tyer... 

I agree that Griffin makes great stuff, they certainly last! I started on a Griffin Spyder. The only reason I left Griffin was because  of the small knobs

on the front used to tighten down on the hook. After a short time the edge of those knobs cause my fingers to hurt, It may only be me. I moved to Peak with no more pain.

Many tight lines!

My first up grade vise was a Griffen Patriot.  I wish I had it back.  Trying to find another but no luck so far. It was top notch back then.  I like the way their cams locks into a hook.

never used a griffin vise but i always wanted the superior 3arp

Griffin_3ARP_Vise.jpg

my upgradefrom a regal inex vise back in the late 1980's was to a renzetti traveler. ive been using it ever since

I am new to this forum but have been tying since 1972 or so

I am a big proponent of Griffin vises for beginners.  I  own some Griffin 1A and Montana Pro vises They are relatively inexpensive,  simple and hold a hook.  They are easy to maintain and repair if necessary.  I will say it again, boy do they hold a hook.  See Al Campbell's review of beginning fly tying vises at FAOL (Fly Anglers On-Line).

I have taught fly tying to various groups including middle school children with a bevy of Regal Vises that I used to own and found that young and very old hands had trouble squeezing the clamp spring open so I bought some 1A  and Montana Pro vises and solved that problem. Yes they are not rotary at all, but boy do they ever hold a hook.  They are probably the best vise for the money

However I do most of my tying on a Regal or DynaKing - non true rotary, but they do rotate).  I have tied on many different iterations of the Regal Vise, DynaKing,  HMH,  Griffin Spider Cam, Griffin Montana Pro, Griffin 1A,  Renzetti and of course Thompson Model A.

I would recommend either the Griffin Montana Pro highly. Griffin vises come with a 100% lifetime guarantee. If you ever have a problem with a vise or tool due to defective workmanship, they will replace those items at no charge

TJ