Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

It's Steelhead Time! In the Mail

Found what I'm tying: Preston Jennings' wet Steelhead Sedge, from Forgotten Flies @ p.251 (pattern 235)

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Preston Jennings' wet Steelhead Sedge

Okay, Chug, I'm stumped, I can find naught of this pattern online or in the few pattern books I have.  Do you mind posting a photo and/or recipe when you have a chance?  Thanks

Since I was already at the vise tonight finishing the batch for the 2525 swap I figured I would bang out this batch as well.

Would USPS still be a reliable way to ship 1.92 grams of Crystal Meth and avoid the authorities??

E101F1A0-4447-4719-B685-69150402BF36.jpeg

Been getting forbidden error message @niveker, or I would... Recipe:

Natural: Dicosmecus stripes

Hook: #4 or #6 heavy sproat

Tag: oval gold tinsel

Tail: golden pheasant tippet

Body: orange silk floss (Pears all's #156A, which I don't have)

Rib: oval gold tinsel

Hackle: brown rooster hackle, palmered

Wing: cinnamon turkey tail wing veiled with "brown" mallard (presuming this is bronze mallard)

8 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

It's a "forgotten" fly.

LOL - thanks Chug.  

I think you meant to type Dicosmoecus atripes

1 hour ago, flytire said:

heres a photo

Thanks Norm for just posting that photo.  Yours was the first website I went on when a general search turned up nothing. 

FishingBob is right, what a pretty fly, I'm sure the Chug-a-lug will do it justice.  

Thanks for posting the pic @flytire. I don't have a cloud-based photo account, just what's on my phone and computer, so I think that's why I can't post pics at the moment. 

As for doing it justice, I can't make any promises, but it is darned pretty and I'll have fun trying.

Posting photos is hard right now regarding what platform you use. Kinda sucks but hopefully it will get sorted out

i can’t post photos from my postimage hosting service or even an attachment from my computer 

norm

I am going to do a "Mini Meat Whistle" meat fly. I only wish I had some of these when I was fishing steelhead running out of Lake Superior on the MN North Shore Streams. For a good part of the year the Baptism River was my second home for steelhead and salmon when not chasing walleye on inland lakes or taking out charters on my cruiser on Lake Superior. 

Nick

SCAN0002 (2).JPG

SCAN0003 (2).JPG