Fly Tying
NewBert1171

Coloring wire?

Can wire be colored with a sharpie or something else and be used to tie flies, without it bleeding or wearing off? Maybe a silver or white wire? 

I have a few colors of tying wire but I'd like a better variety, and wondered if I could buy different sizes in bulk and just color it as needed. 

If not, I'll simply purchase a spool or two every check until I have what I want. I was simply curious, as I'm always looking for ways to save money on materials. Especially in this insane economy we are all suffering through presently. 

I've never tried coloring wire.

If you have a shop or business that rewinds and repairs electric motors or generators, go there and ask if they have spool ends of wire that they can no longer use. Since the price of copper is now high offer to pay them for the copper salvage fee so they don't have a reason to refuse you.

Here is what I got for from my local motor repair business. The soda can is for scale.

34915035123_8a6ee4b9da_z.jpg

I can do that, but what I'd like to know is if wire can be colored and actually hold the color. Or will, say a sharpie colored wire, bleed into UV resin or something similar? Or how well will it hold up to being fished? 

Thank you for the tip though, I'll check into that. 

Welcome to the site @NewBert1171

I haven't tried to color wire with a Sharpie, but think it would likely rub off easily due to the non-porous surface of the wire.  Thread colored with a Sharpie will bleed when coated with Sally Hansen's.  

Stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby have colored wire, I buy it when its on sale and I happen to be in the store, but its hard to find in the smaller gauges other than in a fly shop.  

Bead Landing 12 PC Colorful 26 Gauge Copper Beading Wire Cord - Jewelry Making

Ebay for about $10 including shipping

My guess is that, no, there's no "coloring" pen that will stay on wire.  Sharpies quickly lose color in water if not covered with some protecting layer.  If you're going to use UV resin or similar over the top of the wire, color THAT.  Wire for shine or shimmer and a coating of transparent UV or nail polish for the desired color.

Just throwing the suggestion out there.

1 hour ago, Jaydub said:

26 gauge is pretty big for most tying. Large size Wapsi wire is 26 gauge. Chart in the link below.

http://swtu.org/pdfs/fly_tying/Wapsi-Wire-Sizes.pdf

Thanks for that link, I thought I had saved it somewhere, but could not find it.  

32 gauge is the smallest I have seen in those craft stores, and only in gold.  

I bought a 1# spool of 38 gauge copper in the 70s.  It was less than $10.00, and I have at least 3/4 of it left.  If you can find bulk spools (Like Silver Creek) get some.  When I want thicker wire I simply twist 2 or 3 strands together.  During 16 years working on computers, I salvaged hundreds of yards or silvered wire about the same gauge.  These ribbon cables used to connect hard drives to the mother boards were at least 42 strands wide, and each strand had about 6 or 8 wires.  Again a lifetime supply.  ALL the heavier copper wire I use is salvaged from common electrical cables, and discarded transformers from various appliances.  About 14 years ago, I bought 12 or 15 spools of colored wire that I got for 25 cents each when our local shop was going out of business.  I have very little use for these, but I do on occasion use some.  For my needs, copper and silver are about all I use.   

Another source for fine colored wire are old ear buds. I've gotten copper, silver, red and green from old iPod buds.  Old cable connectors are another source for copper and silver wire.  As far as using sharpies I haven't tried them. I have some Copic markers that can also be used for air-brushing.  They might be able to color silver wire and not fade.  

36 minutes ago, NewBert1171 said:

I'll just stick with buying tying wire. 

Probably your best bet.  I usually buy a spool in a color I need only when I need it.  Otherwise, I always check out the craft stores and/or thrift stores when I have the time and am near one for wires, beads, foam, feathers, wool, yarn, etc. and if its on sale I'll buy it.  But I'm one of the cheapest bastards around, or so I'm told.