Fly Tying
Johnw1986

Sports swap

Norm, your fly reminds of a lot better quality tie than the ones I did for the Cubs finally winning a series. A lifelong Cubs fan from the old days. This is NOT my swap fly. I'd be embarrassed to be in the same mix as yours.

DSC01636.JPG

So these are my entries for the Sports Swap. Oklahoma Sooners with Crimson and Cream and the Cowboys with Black and Orange.

DSCF7267.JPG

DSCF7273.JPG

I figured I'd celebrate a pro team and 3 college teems with 3 flies - Buffalo Bills, LeMoyne Dolphins, Cortland State and Ithaca College.

Kim

22 hours ago, WWKimba said:

I figured I'd celebrate a pro team and 3 college teems with 3 flies - Buffalo Bills, LeMoyne Dolphins, Cortland State and Ithaca College.

Kim

Can’t wait to see them Kim!

Switched again haha. Going with the Nebraska Cornhuskers for tribute to living in Lincoln as a kid.  Need to tie a few more as some are a little “off” as my 8year old pointed out. 

A47B9C3A-1A72-4BA9-ADF7-4DA7C943AEA5.jpeg

I don't know Darrell, if our old friend Breambuster was still active with us instead of going spinning these days he's take a large affront and would definitely be doing their colors.

Mine are packaged and ready to go and will hit PO tomorrow.

Nick

Here are my ties.
Bill's Leech
Bufalo Bills , of course.  This is just a variation on the Baby Leech pattern.  I replaced the black body & rabbit hair hackle with red rabbit hair noodle dubbed body with a wine (vs. copper in the Baby) colored wire rib and blue rabbit hair hackle.  Also, the Baby hackle is normally tied using a loop dub, the Bills tie I used a split thread technique.
Dolphin Nymph
No, this is not a saltwater mammal pattern!  The LeMoyne College Dolphins are located in the shadow of Syracuse University sitting on the other side of RT. 690 in Syracuse, NY.  This Division II school's baseball team has just been invited to their 19th College World Series.  In fact, this school has sent 9 players, from 1976 to date, to the major leagues. Their school colors are green and gold.  The fly was tied with gold calf tail for the tail, green wool yarn with flat gold tinsel rib for the abdomen and caddis green ice dubbed thorax.
Cortaca Jug
This pattern is close to my heart and actually uses the school colors for the 2 Division III schools involved.  The Cortaca Jug is presented to the winner of the football game between Cortland State Red Dragons (AKA SUNY at Cortland, colors are red and white) and Ithaca College Bombers (past school colors green and gold and the school is located less than 25 miles away from Cortland).  NOTE: Ithaca changed the colors to blue and white a few years ago - but the jug uses their traditional colors.  In 2019 this game was played at Met Life Stadium in front of over 45,000 fans.  This is the largest crowd to ever see a game between two Div. III schools!  This year's game will be played on November 12th at Yankee Stadium with a 1:00 kickoff.  This rivalry is called "The Biggest Little Game in the Nation".

The Cortaca Jug was purchased in Homer, NY in the late 1950's by the captains of the two schools' football teams.  It was to be presented to the winning team to hold until the next year's game and the score of the games was painted on the jugs side for posterity.  The man who sold them the original jug to the captains was a neighbor and good friend of my grandfather.  Growing up I lived in walking distance of Cortland's sports training fields and played many a football, baseball and softball games there.  Also, my mom owned college housing that housed over 70 State students at the property.

The fly was designed using golden yellow acetate with a gold wire rib abdomen, a red acetate thorax, white calf tail wing - tied trude, and a soft hackle collar of blue-dyed grizzly hen.

Go Dragons, beat the Bombers!