Fly Tying
Gene L

A more affordable vise

That would be a Magcatch rotating vise. It works well, and priced at $45-50. Holds hooks very well and is lightweight.  Make a good travel vise. I can't link to it because I temporarily forgot how to post a link.

It's at least as good IMO as a Thompson A vise and probably about the same cost.

17 minutes ago, mikechell said:

it looks quite crowded and hard to tie near the bend.

That's one of the reason I did not like my old Apex vise, and tilting the heard up to better access the rear of the hook defeats part of the purpose of the rotary function for adding material.  And you needed a hex key to to it, which was an annoyance to me,  but for the price for the Maxcatch vise, it's hard to go wrong. 

Thanks for the quick review, @Gene L

34 minutes ago, mikechell said:

That's a good looking vise ... except, it looks quite crowded and hard to tie near the bend.

It would be better if you angled the jaws and mounted the hook correctly, not burying the hook point.

Yeah, the jaws are very accessible.  The vise angle is adjustable.  It's not a wonder vise, I prefer it to a Thompson, A which you're stuck with the angle.  Not to knock the A vise, It's good and a classic, but a lot of water has gone under that bridge and development has advanced.

It rotates so you can tie on the other side of the hook.  

The lower priced Griffins, is where I started. I really enjoy my Peak, it lasts forever, at least I should say, I'm 75, it will be around a heck of a lot longer than I will!

10 hours ago, DFoster said:

I've been seeing these advertised on the web.  I don't know anything about them but it would seem to be a reasonably priced rotary-

https://moonlitflyfishing.com/products/nirvana-rotary-fly-tying-vise

image.thumb.png.c0a2b84ffb7a49c4997557b4990433b5.png

Matt O'neal (Savage Flies) did a review of the Nirvana.  And in fact I saw one at my last Sip and Tie meeting.  What I and Matt found objectional about the vise is the C-Clamp.  It attaches to the threaded vise stem with a nut whereas most C-Clamps are bored through.  Which means you're stuck with almost no height adjustment.  This is odd in my view.  The stem is threaded and you have to screw it in the C-Clamp.  For me, this would be a walk-off, as I depend on the C clamp and prefer it (generally) for the ability to adjust the height of the vise.  Also, from my personal observations, the pedestal is not heavy enough for me.  Oneal wasn't a fan of the vise, but you can google his review on Youtube if I've not explained it clearly.

I watched the review and though I don’t use a C Clamp I agree with your assessment.  It makes me wonder why it’s built that way?  It seems like it wouldn’t be a big cost increase to drill it through.  Besides the light weight base did the quality seem good?

I didn't examine the vise.  I was seated next to the owner and it looked fine to me.  I did notice the pedestal was a bit small compared to others I've seen A little taller than I'd want personally.  

I agree it's strange and probably costs more to thread the stem and the pedestal than a straight bore thru.  As noted in the on-line review, the manufacturer has two different titles from the same address.  Strange and stranger.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:22 AM, DFoster said:

I've been seeing these advertised on the web.  I don't know anything about them but it would seem to be a reasonably priced rotary-

https://moonlitflyfishing.com/products/nirvana-rotary-fly-tying-vise

image.thumb.png.c0a2b84ffb7a49c4997557b4990433b5.png

It may be too pretty to tie on!