Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Hurricane stuff - about fishing, of course...

Very surprised to see that Everglades National Park has not locked down for Ian... Usually,  if you even say the word hurricane they lock the gates...figure the storm surge alone will be problematic - particularly for the Everglades City / Chokoloskee area since they're barely above sea level as it is... Looks like south Florida got lucky on this one.. .

Will report out as soon as I'm able to get back down to Flamingo and / or Chokoloskee for anyone interested.  In the meantime everyone along the Gulf coast of Florida will be doing everything they can to  prep for what looks like bad news coming their way..  Hope everyone stays safe - and after the storm,  once you've sorted out check on your neighbors and assist if needed... Good luck to all.

Both of my main venues in Everglades National Park and nearby areas are open again and available to anglers and guides alike... Flamingo (the center of Everglades National Park) - but only the boat ramps, the marina store and fuel pumps are up and running... and Everglades City / Chokoloskee at the north end of the Park. In that area though - nothing else is up and running with very few exceptions... I've seen one post that mentions an email from the Everglades Rod and Gun Club saying they have a few rooms available -but no restaurant or other amenities.  All of this will change from day to day as everything comes back to life - but for now I'd have everything I'd need with me when going into that area... .I have no idea whether any of the gas stations are open at all.there at all.

Now if I can only finish a few home projects - I'll be on the water myself at each location and post a report for each... maybe later this week... This should be prime time in the salt and brackish portions of the Everglades... 

A buddy of mine fished Flamingo yesterday... He said that other than a high water mark and some mud on the ramps you'd never know the Park had a hurricane pass by.. in that part of the Park.  I'm betting it's a different story 55 miles to the northwest where Everglades City and Chokoloskee are...

He reported very high water in the interior and his day was mostly snook and small tarpon... It will be a few days before I can get out there myself... Just got in a bunch of trailer suspension parts so I'll be dropping my hull off the trailer and getting after it in a day or so... When you tow a boat on the highway as much as I do most years the maintenance stuff just never ends between boat, trailer, and not to mention all of your actual fishing gear... 

A bit of good news... the Everglades City Bait and Tackle just re-opened... Keeping limited hours (8Am to 2Pm) each day and without the ability to handle credit cards (cash only...), still it's a miracle they got back in operation as quickly as this since they were flooded out....  The best part is that they apparently saved all of their merchandise (must have emptied the store before impact) and are fully stocked with all the stuff folks need...    Just one more sign of how tough and determined folks in the 10K are... You can find all the contact info on Instagram for them.. 

Mornin' Capt.

Sorry to clutter up your topic but for some reason I couldn't send you a message.

You posted a site that shows up to date sat/aerial images in areas that are affected by hurricanes etc.  I think you posted it after Irma.  Do you recall what the URL is?  I'd like to see what some of my watery haunts look like after this storm. 

Thanks

Swamp

I get those type of images on TV here 24/7 or I can just walk out of my door.  I'm looking for high altitude google maps/earth type of images.  Thanks though.

Swamp

Sure glad others have chimed in since if I ever had the info… I can’t remember it now… 

I do have Google Earth Pro and will look to see if their photo maps are current or still showing how things were before the storm.  A quick check of Google Earth only shows photos from before the storm…

Thanks Capt.  I could have sworn that was you, but I could very well be mistaken.

For anyone one that has a doubt about how our natural shorelines help in storms, after looking at some of those images, it is obvious that the worst damage is where man altered the habitat or eliminated it altogether.

Swamp

Actually all of the Gulf coast barrier islands are kind  of temporary… We‘ve had many years to forget about the reality that one hurricane can restore, alter, or remove them entirely…