Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Potato Cannon

I made a potato "cannon" out of metal pipe fueled by acetylene gas. PVC pipe could explode.

Acetylene is produced by the chemical reaction of calcium carbide with water.

1193385843_calciumcarbideandwaterreaction-CaC2H2O.jpg.91bb29154c876a0c3c9eb8dec38bb0fe.jpg

I could shoot a potato well over a hundred yards.

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I made a potato "cannon" out of metal pipe fueled by acetylene gas. PVC pipe could explode.

That's schedule 80,  I'm not too worried about it exploding, but you're right, it could, and we don't use acetylene - lol.   

Your version sound pretty cool, though. 

My son refined/modified his cannon over the years. 

Originally it was a one piece with a small touch-hole on the end of the chamber.  He fueled it with hair spray, spraying it in the barrel, loaded a potato with a 'ram rod' to help compress the hair spray, and used a lighter at the touch hole to ignite it.  That took too long to get oxygen into the chamber after being fired and too many duds, so he drilled a hole in the end of the chamber to blow in  fresh air and for the hair spray.  Still took too long between shots, and sometimes  the hairspray would just fizzle out of the touch hole.  So he cut the end off the camber and installed a cleanout plug with the sparking mechanism from a long reach light, and uses lighter fluid for fuel.  That's the version I'm using here.  We don't often track the distance, as were usually shooting it into the woods in the back yard.  But yesterday my neighbor wasn't home, so we could use his yard to track distance - 300 feet was the long shot.