Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My first ties since my stroke

On many of the creeks and rivers I float, grayling seem to bight on one thing, and one thing only at certain times of the year . Royal Coachman. Now why would that be, Royal Coachman are known to be attractor patterns and grayling are generally known to be cooperative participants.

DSCF6032.JPG

The first fly since my stroke and subsequent death from cardiac arrest. Apparently the thirteen people in the room did a good job of bringing me back in time because I don't think I'm any stupider than I was. I was worried about my hand/eye coordination. I have been working on it and it seems to be coming back. Next I'll try engraving again, that may be the real test.

Now back to the story, After the interest of the grayling for Royal Coachman I started looking at bugs again and looking in Grayling stomachs. In both, I found a propensity of these. Mydas flies.

index.jpg

Mydas flies can get very big, in fact, some sub-species can get to be the biggest flies in the world, but in my streams they only get to be about 3/4 of an inch long. I could tie a fly that matches the Mydas fly closer. Maybe with black wings and a black tail and probably an orange band. It seems like that would be fun to do. For now  the Royal Coachman works really well and, it's a classic. I'm tying them in sizes 10, 12 and 14.

My best to all, have fun, be safe and catch fish.

Thanks everybody, I did a few more.

MF (2).JPG

A nicer Royal Coachman.

RMF.jpg

Again, the real Mydas Fly

MF (1).JPG

My imitation of the Mydas Fly

Thanks again everybody, good tying to you.

Nice ties Mark- The royal coachman dry or wet is my favorite fly- there is something that's  just perfect about it.

Thanks everybody. I'm still not supposed to run machinery like power hammers to make knives. Something like if I keep falling over I can't be trusted to run equipment. Big deal, I've fallen over a few times. It is nice to be at the vise again. Thanks again Mark

Well done on the flies Mark...and I love to hear good news on the health front as well.

Take care of yourself my friend.

Regards,
George