Fly Tying
flytire

Replacing an exterior storm door

you would think it would be easy to find a contractor who would like to make a few bucks replacing 2 exterior storm doors on my mobile home

simple-door.jpg

NOPE

Lowes - they would but they dont work on mobile homes

Home Depot - No response from them

Angi's List (now Angi) - no response

Home Advisor - no response

Ace Home Services (Ace Hardware) - sorry we dont work on mobile home

Yankee Remodeler (Local contractor) - they wanted to replace both the exterior AND interior doors

they must think its an older mobile home

POST-1-MH-Featured-Image.png

luckily i found the contractor for my gutters and gutters guards i used will replace them. hopefully before the snow flies here in connecticut

sorry for the rant

Yep, it seems to get harder and harder to find someone to do the small jobs.  The gold rush taking place in Florida right now won’t help things either. 

What's the reason they won't work on a mobile home?? That isn't right. A home is a home. Not like its a lil' pull behind pop up trailer or something. 60'-80' mobile homes are not much different than a manufactured home. That's just wrong they won't work on them.

the reason i received from some of them was that its their policy they dont work on mobile homes

i once asked an anderson window replacement contractor to quote me a price on replacing a few windows on my home and he told me my walls werent sturdy enough for their windows

my walls are 2x6 construction

luckily the door contractor replaces windows too. they use marvin windows. that will be next years project

On 10/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, flytire said:

the reason i received from some of them was that its their policy they dont work on mobile homes

i once asked an anderson window replacement contractor to quote me a price on replacing a few windows on my home and he told me my walls werent sturdy enough for their windows

my walls are 2x6 construction

luckily the door contractor replaces windows too. they use marvin windows. that will be next years project

Norm I googled "local handyman for small jobs" and this link came up.  Enter a zip code and it will connect you to a local handyman.   I hope it works out for you.  You can also try "local handyman for hire".  If you are on facebook you may have luck there as well.

https://localhandymanquotes.com/d/HomeMaintenanceAndRepair?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=127485736709&utm_term=handyman estimator&matchtype=b&adposition=&utm_content=617248805032&ntwrk=search&plcmnt=&utm_device=c&utm_location=9001869&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_127485736709_w_kwd-296588304134_h_9001869_ii__d_c_v__n_g_c_617248805032_l__t__e__r__vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQjwteOaBhDuARIsADBqRegsLCMDugqhF7PG2N35qm5ubpoC3GDCBNn95JDUm3FT4u-eyQ6dIRsaAroOEALw_wcB

thank you 

i have selected a contractor for my home project. 

DiGiorgi Roofing & Siding - A+ Rating from the Better Business Bureau (digiorgiinc.com)

they returned to my house on saturday for exact measurements of both my entry doors

i went to that link, filled in all of the boxes and this was the result

anji never responds to any project i have ever listed with them

improve.jpg

39 minutes ago, flytire said:

thank you 

i have selected a contractor for my home project. 

DiGiorgi Roofing & Siding - A+ Rating from the Better Business Bureau (digiorgiinc.com)

they returned to my house on saturday for exact measurements of both my entry doors

i went to that link, filled in all of the boxes and this was the result

anji never responds to any project i have ever listed with them

improve.jpg

Ok- I've never used the link myself.  In my area of Mass there are quite a few handyman services soliciting work.  I've seen ad's for them in the local news flyers and on the placemats in breakfast diners.  I'm glad you found some one.

Glad ya found a place to do it Norm. I still just don't think that's right though how some places as big as HD or Lowes wont work on mobile homes. Thats just not right 😒

Glad you found a place to take care of ya though.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if the construction methods are as stringent or as unified for mobile/pre-manufacured homes as they are for site built homes.  If that is the case there's no telling what they might find once they get into it.  I will say that the least they could do is explain that and then say they won't bid on those jobs because they have just been burned too many times.  If that's the case you'd think there would be companies that have the experience and would specialize in that kind of work, it doesn't make sense to me either.  Again, pure conjecture and it doesn't really help Norm. Glad you have found someone for the issue at hand.

i have asked the management of the mobile home park for a list of contractors (plumbing, HVAC, roofing etc) but it's been silent running from them.

they like to increase the monthly lot rent and will threaten anybody with eviction if you question them

the park has 2 handymen working here (when the feel like it) but nothing from them

there are mobile home repair contractors in the area, but they never answer the phone when you call them to do a job

i'm sure there are national standards regarding the construction of mobile/manufactured homes. i know i have booklets on my home from the manufacturer regarding set up, snow loads for the northeast etc

yes, luckily i found a contractor to work with me

i can only imagine what the folks in the mobile home communities hit by hurricane Ian are going through. i highly doubt any contractor will be able to put all of the pieces back together

for that reason, i'll be thinking long and hard about moving to florida any time soon

Just sucks,a storm door is NOT structural and there should be no problem installing one.

yes it does suck

luckily i have a good contractor hired to replace them

hopefully before the snow flies here in new england

Glad you found somebody to work on the door.

Part of the problem may be the construction of older mobile homes. My understanding is that the newest ones are built like a standard stick-built home with 2x6 wooden framing, standard sized doors and windows, and real insulation. Little risk of inducing failures when replacing doors and windows.  Older ones seem to have metal framing roughly 2x3 or less, use water absorbing sheathing under sheet metal or vinyl skin, little insulation, and often have particle-board flooring, which is a sponge. A series of federal HUD construction standards over the years has transformed the mobile home into essentially a code-compliant house. Except the foundation and under-home support, and location of electrical metering. Code-compliant (on-site built or manufactured) homes need a cellar or slab with frost-walls (or an Alaska slab floating on gravel) and the meter is usually attached to the home, while mobile homes have a slab in the North and are typically on blocks above the slab or ground, metering detached from the home. Other than that the only difference now seems to be whether the HUD or the state/local building codes apply.

I know they sit on slabs here in NO illinois and most are pretty well built.They are still blocked up tho with the axles still attached and have titles like cars .It makes them more affordable this way as they are not taxed like a house with a foundation.Can literally save you 1000s a year in property taxes.I don't recall where the utility meters are located,assuming on a pole or box.

my mobile home sits on a cement slab. it is on blocks and tied down to the slab

the hitch is removed and stored under the home

older homes in the park are not on cement slabs, just dirt

rest assured i pay substantial property taxes