Fly Tying

Question,

Recently I came across an Owl dead on the side of the road whilst poking around for wild mushrooms. Looked like a road kill from the night before.

Looking at the Owl’s feathers, grey and white barred on the breast, they looked like a fine choice for some styles of nymphs or upright wings.

Would it be legal for me to skin it out and process it? I know they are state and probably federally protected. 

Seems like a waste to let it sit and rot by the side of the road. As I understand it, possession of some bird’s feathers are strictly forbidden, such as Eagles.

thanks

TT

I'm not from the USA but here in Canada it would be illegal, i can't even pick up a molted feather from many bird species. The only way is to acquire a special permit and i think its for taxidermy purposes only.

leave it on the ground. the buzzards and vultures will make a meal of it

birds of prey are illegal to possess

Hate to see it go to waste from a fly tying point of view...but flytire is spot on regarding the legal issues here.

I have come across them also, usually on a path not far from the road. 

I'm not ashamed to say that one time I went back to the same spot the day after I came across one.  I was only a little disappointed that it was gone, either scavenged by the foxes and coyotes, or another fly tyer.  

Unfortunately, as others have said, it is illegal to possess them, no matter the manner in which they were collected. 

They do have some beautiful feathers: 

The Brown Owl North Country Spider

You also should be aware that having flies tied with protected species feathers/furs is in itself illegal.  Hard to think of a situation in which you would be caught in such violations but....

It is a shame because owl primary feathers have interlocking fibers that make their flight silent. The feather strands make into unique , fuzzy, and  highly mobile, body materials on nymphs and soft hackles.