Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Boat work.... half of all my fly fishing maintenance...

I know most fly fishers are on foot in fresh water (at least that's the impression I get...) but for guys that venture out into saltwaters boats are a big part of your day always... Seems to me that at least half of my maintenance work isn't done on rods or reels, or at the tying bench - it's simply keeping my skiff in good shape - trailer and all.  Here's a few pics of my most recent work where we needed to remove the skiff from the trailer to be able to upgrade the suspension... 

CphchKw.jpg

first, drop the boat off of the trailer (either at a boat ramp somewhere - or just on the grass... then do your trailer repairs and then load the hull back on the trailer afterwards - ready to hit the road again... 

mm6jGvq.jpg

Pretty old fashioned trailer and I"m towing an average of 20,000 miles a year with it, commuting from my home to one ramp or other day after day... 

And yes the entire rig fits exactly into my garage - it was planned that way years ago... This is the second trailer it's had - not bad for more than 32 years old now... 

HI Capt,  

I figure that you have been doing this long enough that you are using the exact equipment you want.  My plan it to replace my trailer with aluminum at some point so I am curious if you see a problem with aluminum.  BTW I will be using all SS hardware and electrically isolating it from the aluminum to avoid galvanic corrosion issues (saltwater sucks sometimes).

Swamp

Aluminum trailers are great - and these days good ones come with all the hardware isolated - serious saltwater corrosion problems with older aluminum trailers that didn't have that isolation routine (a combination of the right washers and I believe something called Tef-gel -not sure of the correct spelling..). My trailer, a galvanized steel number is  very old fashioned - a full roller trailer and I like it because many years ago a lot of ramps down my way weren't exactly "float-on" friendly and any time you have to submerge your hubs to launch a boat (not to mention the back end of your tow vehicle at some ramps ) you're risking your bearings unless you really keep after their maintenance.  I've known many that automatically re-did their bearings annually to keep them in good shape.  My rig, on the other hand never needs to have the trailer deep enough in the water for it to barely touch the rims on my wheels (and never the bearings) so in that regard it's pretty bearing maintenance free.   Matter of fact with the oil bath hubs I'm running - when the trailer is around 250 to 350,000 miles (correct figures....) I'm still using the original bearings... The trailer shown in the photo is a 2005 model - and I really am on the road with it 20,000 miles a year... These days of course most trailer setups are the drive on or float on style that needs two people to load properly - most days... I never need assistance if my gear is working properly...

It's also an advantage with a PowerWinch and a walk board to be able to idle up the rear of the trailer, hook up you winch cable - then walk to the front of the rig with dry feet on the walk board and complete loading your skiff using that PowerWinch - by yourself (this style of trailer self-centers your boat as it's pulled up onto the trailer) late late at night (or very early morning...) no matter what the wind is doing - and if I can get to the water I don't even need a ramp in some situations... The downside of course is that even galvanized steel will rust - the good news for me is that nothing is welded - it's all bolted together so with a schematic I can order a new cross member or axle or whatever I need - and do almost all of the maintenance myself.  With an aluminum trailer you'll need a welder every now and then - and a competent one that works with aluminum regularly... 

All said though - I"m still a poster child for being careful about what you wish for - long days on the water with a nearly 200 mile round trip commute to one ramp or other... Been doing it for many years though - and will until I can't anymore... 

I am boatless and happy for it these days.Can only use one 7-8 months and the best lakes are crowded and always the guys that decide to work on their boats at the ramp.Then after finally backing down the boat either won't start,they are pulling a heavy boat with a mini van that gets stuck on the ramp .The rope comes untied during the launch and the boat floats away.The maintenance and price of endless parts etc .State fees ramp fees etc.My boats only got launches less than a dozen times a year.You sir do this for a living and a boat trailer and tow vehicle are your work tools.What a great way to make living tho.My oldest son has the same dream .He is a firefighter and is working on his captain license to fish Lake Michigan on his off days.Then taking earliest retirement he can and head to Florida and open a charter business.Since he was a small boy all he ever wanted was to be a firefighter and have his own boat.Jaws was his favorite movie since he was like 7.

I love my boat and prefer fishing from it. I fight the crowds by not fishing on the weekends. In fact most times I go out it’s rare to see another boat at the ramp. On the weekend there would be a line and you would be waiting to put in and take out which is why I avoid weekend fishing at all cost. 

Trailer maintenance is generally inconvenient but somewhat therapeutic once the boat is out of the way.  If you take care of them they will take care of you. My trailer is a 1991 with bunks and side bunks. I replaced the bottom bunks a few years ago and I have to replace the side bunks as both side bunks are snapped in half and held together by the carpet. I also cracked the weld on the rear upright that holds the back of the side bunk and have to weld that. Got through the low water season OK but will definitely have to fix them before the high waters of spring when I really use the side bunks to guide the boat on. With the high spring flows my side bunks take a beating. I need to grind off a little surface rust and spot paint  the frame and drop axle.  I pull my bearings every couple years to inspect, clean and repack them. I submerge the hubs every time but it’s  strictly freshwater use.  All this stuff is rather routine for me since I don’t like having problems that are easily preventable. 

I use to have a nice boat. 19ft Pro Craft Fish Hunter with a 115hp Mariner. Used it for smallmouth fishing the larger sections of the Au Sable.Just sold it a couple years ago after owning it for 30 yrs. Lower unit issues finally came up after all those years and I just decided it was time to clear it out of the yard since I hadn't been using it as much the past few years. Being mostly a trout guy now it just didn't see the use it did back 10 yrs or more ago.

Bob just be thankful you are in Fl and don't have to winterize your boat like I always had to do up here in Michigan. That was always a PITA to do every year. Had to get everything out of it, take tires off the trailer, drain the gas and flog the motor with an inhibitor, then put a structure over it and wrap it to keep snow/ice/animals out of it every winter. I always hated having to winterize it every year. That's one thing I do not miss.

Yes, the old saying the two best days a boater has is the day he/she buys the boat and the day he/she sells it. I had a 20-foot Grady walk around, that I do miss until I remember (with help from my wife) the work and upkeep in the New England seasons vs the time used (was still working at that time). Enjoy my small Grumman Sportboat or other canoes more now they store and clean easy, run well with a small 6 horse, and don't eat anything. Being retired I can pick and choose the days on the water vs the weather or wade and avoid the issue. The small trailer I take the tires off for the winter store the boat on sawhorses. If I get the urge to fish the deeper salt it is much easier to get on a hired boat for the day. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I agree about not submerging the hubs especially when they are "hot" from being on the road.  Unfortunately I have an older trailer design (which I don't like).  It's a crank/winch up with center rollers and carpeted bunks. I have to almost submerge the fenders on many ramps. As far as I'm concerned it's the worst of both worlds, not float on and not easy to winch up either. I drive the boat up it up till the bow is a few feet from the stop and then winch it up the rest of the way since I am alone 99% of the time.  Love my walk board.  I've got it down to a science since I absolutely refuse to be "one of those guys" that ties up the ramp. 

Knock on wood, despite having to dunk them I've never had a bearing go out on me (at least not a boat trailer).  I am a fervent believer in bearing buddies and I think that is why I've done so well.  I'll also jack up each wheel at least once a year,  spin the wheel assembly and tug on it sideways.  If I hear anything or if it doesn't feel right I'll repack or even replace the bearing, cheap insurance.

I contract for a place that goes through over a thousand tons of steel plus I don't know how many tons of stainless and aluminum a year.  The place has branched out into custom fab work as well, so more aluminum is being used all the time. Amongst other things we weld up major components for govt contract boat trailers.  This is for the boat trailer fabricator next door.  All of the trailers made next door are top of the line aluminum. Every once in a long while a trailer comes back in with a boat on it.  Large long fast boats that have 5+ of the biggest outboards that money can buy.  The last one had 400's on it and I suspect it now has bigger motors on it, just because they can.  The kind of boat I can't afford to start the motors on for a monument and turn them off again.  10 seconds idling at the dock probably costs a grand.  Getting welding done or doing it myself is not an issue.  But I also agree bolt on is the way to go.

I'll probably buy/build an aluminum trailer at some point but it's not likely to be at the top of my priority list for a while.

Steve, folks down here do it differently, they "summerize" their boats for when they leave to go back up north for the summer. LOL

Swamp 

Here's a tip for anyone that wants to check the condition of the bearings - on any trailer... I was taught it by a pro years ago.  Jack up the wheel you want to check just like you do to check bearing adjustment - then give the wheel a hard spin and place your finger tips on the trailer frame nearby while the wheel is spinning... If the bearing is good you won't feel a thing while it's spinning.. If the bearing is bad - you feel a rumbling or vibration in the trailer frame next to that wheel - long before it becomes a "hot bearing" and you're in deep trouble... It's also very good practice whenever you stop somewhere when towing to put your hand on every hub to feel if it's getting hot (indicating a bad bearing),  hubs will always warm up a good bit out on the highway but should never be hot...  I used to use bearing buddies back when I ran trailers with grease hubs... Something to remember is that if you ever have a bearing go bad out on the road - the hub will heat up, the grease will expand - and actually push that nice Buddy right off the hub allowing the grease to run out (and all over everything)... Just another of those "ask me how I know" moments...  More than one boat owner, after losing a dust cap or bearing buddy on a hub figured that it didn't fit right - but a bad bearing that gets hot will push off whatever cap you have in place - and leave a mess to clean up  -while you're at roadside somewhere trying to install a new bearing (you do remember to keep a set of spare bearings and seals out on the road don't you....).

And for anyone who envies the life of a fishing guide... be careful what you wish for....  I've had to learn more about boat trailers than I ever wanted to know - over the last 27 years.. as a full time guide.  My first year guiding,  I popped five trailer tires (before learning to put quality rubber on the road..) and never got to change out a tire in daylight... Year in and year out I'm towing an average of 20,000 miles a year from my home to one ramp or other....

"Aren't boats fun?"

Yep, glove-less temp check whenever I pull any trailer far enough to have to refill fuel.  If all I've done is pull the boat at non highway speeds for a while I'll pull over and check after 25-30 miles.  Blown up a few tires myself, I have gotten in a habit of replacing them when there are any signs of dry rot/cracking/damage. The Florida sun is hell on rubber, I never wear tread down to minimum height, so it's been a while since I popped one.  I also learned the hard way that if you blow a tire the absolute first thing to do is get another spare before continuing your trip, even if it's a cheap one. The second tire will blow if you don't.  Fish be damned,  having to abandon a boat to get a new tire is an exercise anxiety.  I did that once, no thank you.  My boat has been sitting for a spell, so it will get new sneakers before I pull it to more than the nearest ramp for a water test. Guilty as charged about not usually having spare bearings in the truck. Though on "road trips" I do. Instead of carrying bearings, carry a hub with the "new" bearing installed, it's a lot faster when traffic is zipping by your head at a 100mph. plus you don't have to get grease all over you hands. If I hauled my boat around as much as you do I think I'd carry three spares on hubs, or just have a tire service follow me! lol

For some years now I carry two spares for a single axle trailer - and actually have two additional spares ready to go at home.  Needing a tire or a spare can be tough with the hours I keep.  I actually have a night booking coming up this week that I’ll get home from after 1Am…

On 11/3/2022 at 10:46 AM, cphubert said:

Yes, the old saying the two best days a boater has is the day he/she buys the boat and the day he/she sells it. I had a 20-foot Grady walk around, that I do miss until I remember (with help from my wife) the work and upkeep in the New England seasons vs the time used (was still working at that time). Enjoy my small Grumman Sportboat or other canoes more now they store and clean easy, run well with a small 6 horse, and don't eat anything. Being retired I can pick and choose the days on the water vs the weather or wade and avoid the issue. The small trailer I take the tires off for the winter store the boat on sawhorses. If I get the urge to fish the deeper salt it is much easier to get on a hired boat for the day. 

I always have one eye peeled for an old Grumman sportboat for sale. Love those boats. 

i have never heard of not submerging your bearings when hot. I’ve always submerged my bearings as soon as I get to the ramp, hot cold or just right. I have a 3” drop axle on my trailer and I still submerge 3/4 of my rim. I’m also not swapping out bearings and grease on the side of the road. I’ll call for a tow before I’m changing out and greasing bearings on the side of the road. Having a good friend with a towing company makes this a no brainer for me. 

my preference for trailers will always be bunks largely because they are far easier to maintain and I just don’t have a problem launching and recovering boats with bunk trailers. 

The theory is that immersing a hot hub can draw water into the bearings from the rapid cooling.  While I think it is possible at least on paper, I'm not sure that such a small not really "hot" space is really going to draw water or not.  Oil bath or bearing buddies should negate any of that, again in theory.  Personally I've never had water intrusion, I use bearing buddies more to ensure that there is a supply of fresh grease available to the bearing. I have had bearings go "dry" beyond a period of time that I admit I should have checked or prophetically repacked them anyway.  For me bearing buddies are insurance against my own stupidity.  If they are the reason I've never had water issues, then bonus.

I’ve never had a roller trailer but I have had more then a few bunk trailers and every one of my trailers, my buddies trailers and my family member trailers get the hubs submerged to launch. If the hubs weren’t submerged the bottom of the boat would have to sit below the axle to float off the bunks. Thousands of launches and I’ve never had a problem with water in my hubs/bearings. Maybe it’s the shallow  ramps I use I don’t know but I just always assumed everybody dunks their bearings. I’m going to start looking at hubs at the ramps now. 

These days high end technical poling skiffs can come with “dry launch” trailers set up specifically to allow the user to never dunk the hubs… That’s not     my setup at all…. But very handy if you fish in saltwater.

Since high end skiffs now routinely sell for $50,000 and more I’m never going to own one.