Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Boat work.... half of all my fly fishing maintenance...

I'm right there with you, I don't have a choice but to put 3/4 of the wheels under when I launch and just the top of my fenders stick out when I recover the boat.

Hurricane Ian is not going to have helped boat prices.  Thousands, probably tens of thousands, of boats are totaled.  A lot of people are going to be in the market once the insurance checks comes in. MSRP on most major brand skiffs is more than my first house cost.  I'm glad there are some smaller mfgs that are still trying to get people into reasonably priced skiffs, still they have to pass their rising costs down to the customer.

Capt, watch the weather, potentially some tropical grouchiness headed for the east coast.

Swamp

Got it (check the weather daily on three different sites...)... and as a result cancelled tomorrow's trip and a night trip on Wednesday... The good news is that the weather is moving and not stationary - so I'm hoping it won't have the time to turn into something really bad.  We're currently forecast winds in the 20 to 30 mph range with rain but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit stronger than that.   Add to that we're at the full moon (or very close) so the high tides will be a good bit higher than normal - without the wind and weather.  Lucky us... 

Yes I would expect to be a bit OCD about the weather forecast is an occupational hazard.  I know that whenever I am going out (or even non-boat fishing) I check the weather obsessively the 12 hrs before.  How many times after getting up in the morning have you found a t-storm on radar right where you are planning on being even though there was "no" chance of rain?

The local news said the same about it not really having a chance to develop too much. Of course the same folks were pretty adamant that Ian was not going to be a Charlie either.  They were correct of course, but not in the way they wanted.  I'm actually hoping for a couple of inches of rain, things are drying up here faster than I want.  Still need to burn many yards worth of branches and trees from Ian.  Still I'd rather forego the rain than have Florida get another nasty storm.

Sucks that you had to cancel, but I don't blame you.  Hopefully you can reschedule.