Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iasgair

Butcher

I'm not a bad fly tyer I guess, even though it takes me several times to get it to where I like it.  

I tied this fly for a friend on another forum because it's an old English classic fly that he uses.  I didn't have any blue feathers from a mallard duck so I just used royal blue duck quill feathers just to show him how to tie them in the way I do it. Well, I wasn't feeling very good that night and it was late and I was struggling with it. Everything went wrong.  I won't even show you the fly because I am too embarrassed to show it though I posted it on that other forum.  

The next morning I felt better and told myself that I have the ability to redeem myself.  I went to my tying room, sat down and started all over again. First attempt was a success in my book.  I showed others the fly and was even compared to Don Bastian.  I have heard the name but had no idea who he is.  I then looked his name up and saw the most beautiful wet flies I have ever seen.  I still have a ways to go before I am even in his skill level. 

But here's what came out of my vise that morning. 

20221030_091628.jpg

Edited by Isgair
one too any photos

38 minutes ago, Isgair said:

Don Bastian.  I have heard the name but had no idea who he is

Don was a very accomplished tier he passed last year; he would have commented positively on your wet fly as I will (I am no Don Bastian either). It looks great, if it takes several attempts then take your time and keep at it until you are satisfied with the results. I have a box of old flies that I tied a long time ago on occasion I'll open the box and get a chuckle. Confidence improves with time and practice; you are moving right along. 

Very nice!! Don would certainly be proud! Your persistence is what makes you a good tyer...no one was born with a bobbin in their hand...even Master Bastain...He would tell you that for every good fly he tied through his career there were more way bad ones that good ones...the only way to get good is keep spinning 'em but also be present and learn from your mistakes...one of the things people struggle with when tying winged wets is head size...if you can get that divot at the back of the head intead of the head tapering into the wing, it's a success!! Well done

I finally got some speculum feathers from a mallard duck, so I just had to do the Butcher the way it was meant to be.  I just found out that this fly is one of the patterns the UK was thinking about banning because of it's catching ability.  There's even a song named,  Who Told the Butcher, which names a few of the classic flies. It's a lovely song.

20230115_203403.jpg

1 hour ago, Isgair said:

I finally got some speculum feathers from a mallard duck, so I just had to do the Butcher the way it was meant to be.  I just found out that this fly is one of the patterns the UK was thinking about banning because of it's catching ability.  There's even a song named,  Who Told the Butcher, which names a few of the classic flies. It's a lovely song.

20230115_203403.jpg

👍👍

11 hours ago, Isgair said:

the Butcher the way it was meant to be

Nicely done.  If you haven't already, take a look at the 'January Flies from the Vise' thread.  Flytire posted a bunch of variations on the Butcher starting on page 10. 

Cool song, thanks for bringing it to light

https://youtu.be/463nKnO-NoQ