Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Casting for Recovery

We have about 40-45 retreats across the country that fish for trout/salmon or cold water species, and about 10-12 that fish for warm water species. 

We welcome whatever flies that the tier wishes to tie and donate. There is no required number of flies to donate - if they wish to donate a dozen, or 14 so that each woman gets one of the flies, that's terrific. 
If anyone asks for specific pattern suggestions for trout, I recommend the usual fare: pheasant tails, prince nymph, hares ear, zebra midge, copper john, black beauty, mercury midge, RS2’s, wooly buggers, sexy stone/pat's rubber legs, scuds, worms, caddis, parachute adams, royal wulff, etc. For warm water species: poppers, gurglers, crawfish patterns, damsels, minnow or baitfish patterns, frog patterns, jig nymphs, etc. 

Thank you for sharing with your fly tying groups. Feel free to put them in direct contact with me if that’s easier for you.

Flies can be sent directly to me: 
Jen Lofgren - Casting for Recovery
2543 S. Lincoln St. Unit B
Denver, CO. 80210-5757
(303) 808-6399  

My salt water club has been acting as "lake guides" for the South Jersey CFR retreat for several years now.  We had a good group this year.  It's a pleasure to work with the women and share their excitement when they catch a fish.  One of the ladies caught a 16 inch bass with one of the flies I tied up for it.  A couple of the other women caught smaller bass..  It was a great day.

Is there a timeframe for donating flies or are donations accepted throughout the year? I’ll tie up a set or two and send them your way.

Thanks for posting for such a good cause. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, RickZieger said:

They take flies all year. Most of the retreats are held in the summer.

Rick

Flies are on their way...and thanks for doing this.