Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Universal Vise #2

Patience pays off.  I've been looking for an old Universal #2 vise for a while now.  One popped up on the local marketplace for $15 this week-end, picked it up today.  Other than some dried glue and a bit of surface oxidation, its in good shape, turns smoothly like it was just oiled, no excessive play, no nicks or chips on the jaws:

IMG20221114173005.jpg

I have an original and a 2.  If you do a search on Universal Vise you'll see how one user cleans his up.  He ties just about every day.  

It's not as elegant as an original, but it holds a hook very well and is a rotary vise.  Good price.

23 minutes ago, Gene L said:

I have an original and a 2. 

So do I, this is my second.  Hope I get as lucky looking for the 'Elite" - LOL.  

I have seen that tune up video, it was helpful.  Jay Wirth is his name, he's a member here and checks in occasionally.  

My Universal #2 came with the bobbin cradle and the manual, but no box. My Universal #1 is in nice shape but is missing the original bobbin cradle and I'd like to find the cradle. The document in the link below has some good information on Universal. Near the end of the article the Universal #3 is featured. These are rare, I think only 100 or 200 were ever made and it can go for $400 or $500 nowadays. Not long ago, a #3 was on eBay but it was in poor condition so I didn't track it and don't know what it sold for - if it sold.

http://www.mtfa-springfield.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Universal-Rotary-Fly-Tying-Vises.pdf

There used to be a web page of ClassicFlyTyer.  I believe he had a No 3 along with all the Thompson vises.  He's no longer posting, which is a shame. My No 1 has the bobbin cradle.  I don't think the vise was ever used.  I got it with a fly tying kit which was complete and hadn't been used.  It's a good vise but I don't use it so much because I have other vises that are good vises as well.  I find it strange that Universal went from No 1 to a simpler vise No 2 and then went back to a complicated No 3.  I wish someone would post a No 3 but they are, indeed rare.  

On 11/17/2022 at 12:57 PM, Gene L said:

I can send you a copy

Received yesterday.  What a great couple of pages on the vise operation and fly tying procedures. The old blue mimeographed pages bring back grade school memories, LOL.  

Thank you very much, Gene.  

is the #3 pictured at the bottom of the page

extension://bfdogplmndidlpjfhoijckpakkdjkkil/pdf/viewer.html?file=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtfa-springfield.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F12%2FUniversal-Rotary-Fly-Tying-Vises.pdf

That's it.  I wish there was more to it.  No documents I've been able to see.  Doing research, I came across a No 1 in the box and with pages was on sale back in August.  It was listed at $49 and didn't get any bids.  Photo was with all the equiiptment.  Wish I'd seen it earlier.

I tried all but it is not moving. I can go to Topic Listing or to next Unread Topic easily.

Well, hopefully one day it will be fixed. Until then we can contribute and see each others flies on different forums. 

10 hours ago, Zoran said:

I tried all but it is not moving.

Well, hopefully one day it will be fixed. Until then we can contribute and see each others flies on different forums. 

whats not moving?

everybody is welcome to go to other forums. i post on 6-7 of them but this is my primary forum

The manual for the Universal #2 vise is like a tri-fold booklet. Maybe a photo copy but nicely done - like from a print shop.

The instructions for the the #1 vise is just 5 pages of sheet paper. The first two paragraphs of page one are specific to the vise itself, then the last page has the diagrams.

Moist of the information in both documents is really more like tying instructions. But I think they did a good job keeping it related to "rotary" tying. Especially for the #1 vise which has more and greater detail for rotary tying.

IMGP1528.JPG

IMGP1529.JPG

IMGP1530.JPG