Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

16 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

Hula Damsel, light olive

Nice fly and a great collection of ideas and technique presented in that pattern; do you find yourself tying in stages? any issues with the mono hinge?

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

Nice fly and a great collection of ideas and technique presented in that pattern; do you find yourself tying in stages? any issues with the mono hinge?

I've used mono hinges before, and for this size of fly and tail material, 2x tippet is more than adequate. There is no rear hook so it is durable enough that it will out last the rest of the fly.

It is a technical fly with some different techniques thrown in, but it is not difficult to tie.

As to tying in stages, if I was commercially producing this fly I would definitely produce the tail assemblies separately before completing the fly. I'm a long time commercial tyer and if you did proper material prep you could churn out one of these in about 5 minutes.

Here is the step-by-step I created:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/102381-hula-damsel-light-olive-sbs/&tab=comments#comment-845475

For the SBS I worked up v2. I changed the leg material using the slightly thinner FTD Bug Legs 14-40 in caddis green which are better proportionally, and also changed the mono eyes to olive. I think they match better for the lighter colored fly and allows for the eyes stand out more.

1247526569_HulaDamselstep22complete.JPEG.5a48f961afcbfa033b39f80c1c060a2d.JPEG

Lefty’s Deceiver

Developed by Lefty Kreh in the 50’s as a smelt imitation while fishing for Chesapeake Bay stripers.

As per Ian Whitelaw in The History of Fly Fishing in 50 Flies, pp 141-142:

“During the 1940s fly casting for saltwater fish started to take off, using feathered streamers that followed the style of the New England tiers such as Carrie Stevens.  One of the casters was Lefty Kreh, and in the late 1950s he set about solving a problem with the streamers, namely that in larger sizes the wet feather wings would foul up around the hook on the back cast.  The flies also had a lot of wind resistance.   

Lefty set very clear goals for his fly: won’t foul the hook; looks like a fish and swims well; can be tied in any length and color; cuts through the air and casts easily.  To achieve these goals, he chose to combine the sinuous qualities of a feather tail with the stiffness of a bucktail body, tying four to eight wide saddle hackles in at the bend of the hook and three slim bunches of bucktail in at the head extending beyond the bend of the hook, one on each side and one – usually darker – on the top of the shank. 

His design, initially tied in white, has spawned an entire family of flies in a wide variety of colors, a range of sizes, with the addition of peacock herl or various reflective synthetic materials, and with or without stick-on eyes, and epoxy head and a weed guard. 

The flexibility of this pattern means that it can be adapted to almost any baitfish.”

Lefty’s Deceiver was one of five flies honored by the USPS in 1991 as a postage stamp, along with the Royal Wulff, the Jock Scott, the Apte Tarpon Fly, and the Muddler Minnow.

lefty-s-deceiver.jpg

--------------------------------

Yellow Perch Deceiver

IMG-0842b.jpg

Hook: #2

Thread: Uni 8/0 olive

Tail: 2 yellow saddle hackles (inside) 2 olive saddle hackles (outside)

Flash: 1 strand flashabou, 1 strand gold krystal flash, per side

Body: FTD copper northern flash, wrapped along hook shank

Under Flank: 2 grizzly hen feathers

Belly, outer flanks, back, throat: white, yellow, olive, red bucktail

Top: peacock hurl x3

Eyes: 3/16" 3d eyes, uv glue.  A bit too big, but the smallest I had.  

Held under warm running water to shape then dried. 

Next up: Hornberg Special, any variation.  

8 hours ago, niveker said:

Lefty’s Deceiver

Developed by Lefty Kreh in the 50’s as a smelt imitation while fishing for Chesapeake Bay stripers.

As per Ian Whitelaw in The History of Fly Fishing in 50 Flies, pp 141-142:

“During the 1940s fly casting for saltwater fish started to take off, using feathered streamers that followed the style of the New England tiers such as Carrie Stevens.  One of the casters was Lefty Kreh, and in the late 1950s he set about solving a problem with the streamers, namely that in larger sizes the wet feather wings would foul up around the hook on the back cast.  The flies also had a lot of wind resistance.   

Lefty set very clear goals for his fly: won’t foul the hook; looks like a fish and swims well; can be tied in any length and color; cuts through the air and casts easily.  To achieve these goals, he chose to combine the sinuous qualities of a feather tail with the stiffness of a bucktail body, tying four to eight wide saddle hackles in at the bend of the hook and three slim bunches of bucktail in at the head extending beyond the bend of the hook, one on each side and one – usually darker – on the top of the shank. 

His design, initially tied in white, has spawned an entire family of flies in a wide variety of colors, a range of sizes, with the addition of peacock herl or various reflective synthetic materials, and with or without stick-on eyes, and epoxy head and a weed guard. 

The flexibility of this pattern means that it can be adapted to almost any baitfish.”

Lefty’s Deceiver was one of five flies honored by the USPS in 1991 as a postage stamp, along with the Royal Wulff, the Jock Scott, the Apte Tarpon Fly, and the Muddler Minnow.

lefty-s-deceiver.jpg

--------------------------------

Yellow Perch Deceiver

IMG-0842b.jpg

Hook: #2

Thread: Uni 8/0 olive

Tail: 2 yellow saddle hackles (inside) 2 olive saddle hackles (outside)

Flash: 1 strand flashabou, 1 strand gold krystal flash, per side

Body: FTD copper northern flash, wrapped along hook shank

Under Flank: 2 grizzly hen feathers

Belly, outer flanks, back, throat: white, yellow, olive, red bucktail

Top: peacock hurl x3

Eyes: 3/16" 3d eyes, uv glue.  A bit too big, but the smallest I had.  

Held under warm running water to shape then dried. 

Next up: Hornberg Special, any variation.  

I will take the Hornberg.

Thank you.  I enjoyed tying that, and learned a little.  I was never really sure what made a deceiver, a deceiver.  

Hornberg

# 8 2x long streamer hook

black thread

gold tinsel underbody

Dyed yellow feather underwing

mallard flank feather wing

furnace and grizzly hackle 

jungle cock eye  

not a great pic, I will try to get a better one up tomorrow534AD301-642F-405E-90BA-0F937B159441.thumb.jpeg.078261f9e3a1111aeb4caddf47c24a68.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

I need to dust off the vise, so I will take the Batman. 

Awesome! 
Glad someone is tying it. I have had good luck with this fly at times. 

Can’t wait to see it.