Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

Thank you both for the compliments. I’m excited to fish them this Spring. May need to get a few more colors and make a small box full- they may be great at my folks lake in Illinois for largemouth. 

23 hours ago, Squeezy said:

here is my attempt(s)

Those look great, I've never tied them before, but I should probably put a few in the warm water box.

7 hours ago, SteeseRanley said:

Slumpbuster! 

Looking forward to it.   

Alright, here's my shot at it! 

I saw both rabbit and squirrel being used, I used rabbit personally.  Fun tie, I cut down the collar on the underside a bit just to expose the ribbed body a bit more.  Hopefully I did it justice.

DSC03671.thumb.jpg.c11a1975641a426bb25202c3bbfb32ea.jpg

Next fly:  Sculpzilla (trailing hook variety)

7 hours ago, SteeseRanley said:

here's my shot at it! 

Nice tie, I like the color. 

Having never fished (or tied) this pattern, does it ride with the hook point up?

@niveker Thanks, I it’s supposed to ride hook point down to the best of my knowledge.  Though, I’ve never fished one either!  

@cphubert Much appreciated, glad my material choice was in-line with what was expected!  I think it’ll have some nice motion to it.  

9 hours ago, SteeseRanley said:

Alright, here's my shot at it! 

Awesome!!!  I have trouble with the collars- seems to get thick quick with the strip bunching up- this one looks mighty fishy to me!!!

33 minutes ago, Squeezy said:

Awesome!!!  I have trouble with the collars- seems to get thick quick with the strip bunching up- this one looks mighty fishy to me!!!

It was definitely a bit tricky to get everything in there.  I watched a video from tightlinevideo on it, which helped.  If you watch the way he wraps the strip, he pulls the hair backwards down the shank with one hand, and then makes tight spirals that are borderline overlapping.  This prevents the strip from bunching up, keeps the fibers all in-line with one another and it makes the collar flows backwards, instead of outwards.  Which I think makes it looks more fishy.  Though, ultimately that seems to be down to preference!

Hope this helps, and thanks for the kind words.  I really enjoyed the pattern, it was new to me!  

8 minutes ago, Trouttramp said:

I believe the next fly up is:
   Sculpzilla (trailing hook variety)

Any takers?

What the heck? I’ll give it a shot. Might be a day or two. 

8 hours ago, dflanagan said:

I’ll give it a shot.

Nice, I would have taken a stab at it but I would have had to use a cone head.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice, I would have taken a stab at it but I would have had to use a cone head.  

It’s looking like I’m gonna have to substitute a fish skull mask for this one myself. Thought I had a few of the x-eye cones but nada. 

Truly Sculpzilla. The smallest octopus hook I could find locally was a size 2. And I forgot to wrap the bunny collar. 🤨

Natural tan rabbit zonker, 20lb dacron, front hook Mustad 3366 clipped, tan FTD arctic wind dubbing, red schlappen, pheasant rump fins and collar, baitfish head. 

Next up: Galloup’s Zoo Cougar

C1DC36FD-C15D-4736-88C2-90102B3601A3.jpeg

A8820644-4BB7-4D51-B4D3-DA1F1E5A1200.jpeg