Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Its that time of tying....

....season for.....static electricity

i'm tying with bucktail and it flares all over the place

static_electricity.jpg

time to bring the humidifier into the tying room

The reason that static electricity increases in cold weather is that cold air has lower humidity. Buy a home humidifier like an AprilAire Humidifier that attaches to the furnace. It has a sensor and you can set the minimum humidity level.

https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-house-products/humidifier

"Drier conditions tend to result in a higher risk of static electricity buildup, which can lead to electrostatic discharges. This is due to the fact that the air moisture content is a natural conductor, earthing any potential static charge. The relative humidity must be below 40 percent in order for a static charge to be produced. 40 to 60 percent will still enable for build-up, but at a significantly reduced level due to the fact that the static leaks to the ground through the air. Conditions above 55 percent RH will never experience static build-up, which is ideal for most applications including office environments and electronics manufacturing facilities."

https://www.condair.com/humidifiernews/blog-overview/why-does-low-humidity-cause-static-electricity

3 hours ago, flytire said:

static_electricity.jpg

Speaking of electricity, that's pretty much what I look like when I open the monthly bill (if I had hair).  

Humm I think a humidifier might make me homicidal.  I'm contemplating turning on the A/C just to dehumidify the house.

Cut and paste from NOAA:

Humidity93%

Wind SpeedNE 12 mph

Barometer30.18 in (1022.0 mb)

Dewpoint68°F (20°C)

Visibility10.00 mi

Last update21 Nov 10:53 pm EST

More Information:

Local Forecast OfficeMore Local Wx3 Day HistoryMobile WeatherHourly Weather Forecast

Here are two tricks to beat that static while tying.. The first is to simply take a sheet of fabric softener material and rub it all over your hands - instead of tossing it into the clothes dryer the way you would normally.  It will greatly reduce that static problem - repeat as necessary during your tying session....  This is something I learned years ago when filling orders night after night. 

For soft materials like maribou I also used to keep a small custard bowl with about a half inch of water in it to dip the ends of my fingers in before handling fly-away materials while tying... Enough of the water will transfer to the material as you work with it - then quickly evaporate from the finished product when the fly is drying after that final coat of head cement (or whatever substitute you use for head cement...).  A small bonus with even slightly wetted down materials is they tend to keep what ever shape they were in when they dry out...

Ant static the worst when tying with fur/hair, cant stack it and forget about the underfur it just sticks to you, get it off one finger to be on the other.

I used unscented dryer sheets like capt Bob Lemay said.

My new house has a HRV system ---heat-recovery ventilator it controls the humidity level in the house, no more problems with static or condensation on the windows. It is code here in the Yukon for all new house builds. For the past 7 years every house i built got this system.

Let us know how the dehumidifier/humidifier works for you Norm.

1 minute ago, upnorthtier said:

Let us know how the dehumidifier/humidifier works for you Norm.

okay will do 👍

having lived in several beat up old hoses with drafty windows and radiant heat i just go old school and keep a pot simmering.I usually ad some cinnamon as i like the smell.The old windows swell and get some ice around the edges sealing them tight.It gets so much more comfortable in the house and radiant heat no hot air blowing around.My new house has great new windows and great furnace/ac system.First hous i ever lived in with central air.I still will get a pot of water simmering when it gets super cold.

4 minutes ago, jcozzz said:

having lived in several beat up old hoses with drafty windows and radiant heat i just go old school and keep a pot simmering.I usually ad some cinnamon as i like the smell.The old windows swell and get some ice around the edges sealing them tight.It gets so much more comfortable in the house and radiant heat no hot air blowing around.My new house has great new windows and great furnace/ac system.First hous i ever lived in with central air.I still will get a pot of water simmering when it gets super cold.

Made me think of a morning up North (Michigan) at our hunting cabin.  You'd naturally wake to stoke the fire, being that was the only form of heat for the place.  We too would keep a pot of water boiling.  One night I was on duty and kept the fire cranking, but neglected to fill the pot of water.  Woke with a leather tongue at one point and stumbled over to the sink to fill a large cup of water for the pot.  Sounded like a car crash when I poured that water into the empty scolding pot - pretty sure I had to change my jammies after that one.