Fly Tying
Gene L

Dave Whitlock has passed

Sad news. He was an inspiration to many of us. My condolences to his family.

Just read note Ms Whitlock wrote in Facebook page. It is so gentle and loving ... So sad ...

It breaks my heart to let you know that we lost Dave last night to a massive stroke. He was working on his boat next to our casting pond when it hit, and was flown to Tulsa for care. But he broke the tippit and drifted gently back to the deep water, the wild that he loved and spent a lifetime exploring, writing and painting about.
We shared 30 wonderful years together and I was able to see, first hand, the huge mark he made on our sport. He was so honored when Fly Fisherman Magazine recently named him as one of four greats that make up the Mt. Rushmore of fly fishing. But I think he left an even bigger mark on those who knew him and who got to share a river with him. The shimmering leap of a trout, the heavy pull of a largemouth or the feisty dance of a bluegill were things that he dearly loved, made his heart race and brought out his big smile...every time!
I can't fathom life without him yet. For all these years we have done everything together. But, if I learned one thing from Dave, (and I learned many), it is to take on each day with willingness and curiosity and go out there and keep casting forward.
My kids are here with their arms around me and I’ll reach out when I can. We will come together for a celebration of Dave’s life, but we don’t know when that will be just yet.
Thanks to all of you who have touched our lives so profoundly.
With love,
Emily

Sigh. Truly sad news.  I hope his passing was as easy as it could be.  My sincere condolences to his family.

He was truly a renaissance man and an inspiration to me ever since I began my journey both as a fisherman and an artist.  A loss to us all.

Swamp

i met him once at a trout unlimited banquet in colorado way back in the 1980's

sad to hear he passed away

Very sad,he took the time to talk to me at a show in Chicago in the mid 90s when i was just starting to tie,Bought one of his books he signed.The show was a dud .He tied a fly and gave it to my young daughter.Just got an email from his website and was looking at his wonderful art work that i wish i could afford.He really inspired me as a warm water fly fisher and tyer.Kind of crazy that the flyfishing community basically ignores 95% of anglers who do not flyfish for trout.I Know Mr Whitlock fished everywhere for everything but he was a warmwater guy at heart.God Bless Mr Whitlock

I saw him just a few years ago over at the Indianapolis Fly Fishing Show.  He was tying his Red Fox Squirrel Nymph and frankly I was surprised at how few people were there to watch his seminar.  A lot of younger kids got up and walked out and I wondered if they knew how much this man had contributed to the sport over his lifetime.  Anyway, it was nice to chat with him and his wife over at their booth where he was displaying his artwork .
  •  

I did meet Mr Whitlock, in about 1980 when he did a demonstration in our shop.  Small shop, and the group attending filled our tying area most of the day.  Very personable man, and a great fly tier.  His patterns were inventive, and very down to earth.  Sad to hear about his passing.  

All of us.. stand on the shoulders of giants in our hobby, craft , passion - whatever you call it.  He was one of those giants, lived a long life and passed along valuable information to anyone who tied a single fly... A life well lived from my perspective.  God speed, sir... and condolences to his family... 

When I think of all the folks in our sport that taught me this or that, encouraged me when necessary - and then passed on... that's the main reason I try to pass the few things I've learned over the years - to anyone willing to listen....